ATARI DAY - On the 26th day of each month, show the world how much you love Atari!

DeLorean

atari_day_900.png

Guys, it’s time to share our love of Atari with the world.

On the 26th day of each month, we’re setting aside a day to celebrate Atari, share great games with great friends, and remind the world why Atari's still so awesome.

We're calling it "Atari Day". Here's how it works:

1. Wear Atari stuff on the 26th day of each month
Shirts, hats, wristbands, bookbags, whatever. Put Atari stickers on your notebooks, bikes, the rear window of your car, the front door of your favorite bar, anywhere cool really. Let people see your enthusiasm. Take photos and post to your social media accounts with the hashtag #AtariDay. Create memes,  print your own Atari stickers, make something new. If you need a T-shirt, you can usually find Atari stuff at Target, online, or in most any mall in America. Wearing Atari stuff, you’ll usually see a few smiling faces coming up to you and offering positive remarks. Each smiling face is another chance to share the fun of Atari with an old friend, or maybe make a new one!

2. Start a conversation
If people come up to you and say they love your shirt, just start talking to them! It's easy to get people excited about Atari. People love video games. And a lot of people still have really fond memories of Atari! They just need to be reminded.

3. Share a game
Let's say your friend said something about your shirt, you guys started talking about Atari and now they're truly excited. You should be as awesome to them as you can possibly be. Share a game with them! Offer to lend them your Flashback console for a week. Better yet, invite them over for a game! Get a 4-Player round of Warlords going. Play a few of your favorite Atari games. Snacks, beer, and a retro movie could make a night out of it. Do something fun and memorable. Make it easy for people to want to enjoy Atari. Show them where they can get games and offer recommendations on your favorite titles. Offer them a few of your spare carts to get them started on their collection!

A FEW TIPS:

• Don’t be cultish, creepy or intrusive. You’re not recruiting people to a religion, you’re just having fun!

• Have a few suggestions ready for where to go online to learn more about Atari, what games to search for on eBay, what to avoid, how to hook up an Atari, etc.

• Remember, we are all "Ambassadors" of Atari's legacy. The Atari we knew and loved is gone. It's up to all of us to make sure the fun games and awesomeness of Atari isn't forgotten with time.

• Make "Atari Day" an event on social media. On the 26th day of each month we’ll be posting events to Facebook, and sharing photos across social media using the hashtag #AtariDay. We hope you’ll join us in doing the same! We may even hold a contest for the "Best Atari Day Photo" and reward that person with a prize.

WHY DO THIS? 

The idea is to share Atari with the world! People who remember Atari will go “Oh yeah! That was so much fun!” and those too young to remember Atari might discover it for the first time. The more people entering the World of Atari, the better! It's always fun to welcome new people into classic gaming, and Atari’s legacy could use a little help.

In some people’s eyes the Atari we know and love doesn’t hold the best reputation. So much of what the rest of the world sees about Atari right now is negative. Documentaries about their failure, Atari garbage dumps in the news, criticism and crappy games. Now is the time to help people rediscover Atari and let them see how much fun we have with this stuff. We’re picking a day, the 26th of each month, to do just that!

Other gaming companies actively build on their legacy. They release new games based on old characters and franchises, and they make it exciting and fun to like their stuff. We wish the same was true with Atari, but unfortunately it’s going to be left up to all of us to make that happen.

Let's do this!

<< my sister bought me this Atari shirt that I'm wearing in the pic to the left.............

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Went to my closest RadioShack (THAT IS NOT CLOSING) and spent the last $61 on my giftcard (+ $10 coupon that RS offers on their website) and got:

SanDisk 64 GB Flash Drive

SanDisk 32 GB micro SD card

LED Swiss Army Knife combo

and 2 Gold-Plated Phono-to-F Adapters to go with my Vader console and my Intellivision console.

So, of course I had to try the adapters. Played my 2 newest Atari 2600 carts: Fast Eddie & Eggomania! Also, played: Galaxian, Chopper Command and Dragster. Plus, I set a new all time personal best on Dragster at 6.54 sec!!

Happy Atari Day!!!!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne