Single Status Update
I'm finally watching season 1 of "Star Trek: Discovery"
You'll have to let us know what you think 🖖
I'm seven episodes in. Here's what I think so far:
- Diversity. THIS is MORE than what Roddenberry had in mind for our future. Women, minorities, gays, etc. I think it's awesome. And it feels natural.
- Doug Jones as Saru is a stand out character here. Excellent.
- Filling in little gaps (Sarek and Spock's division, for example) in the canon.
- The production values are motion-picture quality. Outstanding.
- Philosophical gray areas. Star Trek can be pretty boring without a little spice added in. Captain Lorca is fantastic in this regard. Is he nuts? Evil? Or just doing what's necessary to win a war? It's not clear, and it's really well done.
- Klingons. I don't have any issue with the physical changes. But the language has changed. The whole feel of them is off. It doesn't help that there's subtitles for them in every scene. How can any good acting come out given these limitations? They feel like cardboard cutouts to me. That's no good.