Remember when Atari users used to shell out big bucks for very little?

In hindsight yes, but the technology was new and the knowledgebase was small, so not much competition.

I look at it like if we want an RTX4090 today, how many companies can make a competing GPU that can run CUDA and crunch Transformer Matrices like an NVIDIA card.

Which is why we have to pay ~$1200 for 24GB of VRAM. Other companies are crunching their chips atm, so eventually it'll even out. LIke by the time of the ST, all the expensive peripherals became more niche, and the printer port and RS-232 Interfaces became standard. 🙂

Edited by Jinroh

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

In 1990 (or 1991?) shortly after the release of the 486, I paid $1500 for HP LaserJet III and $3000 for Northgate 386/33 (high end specs). Seven or eight years later, I remember getting the Casio Cassiopeia. I played Doom on both the 386 and the Casio, and the Casio was 1/10 the price and fit in my pocket (sort of). I'm just glad that the hardware prices of computer stuff have come down over time.

On 7/6/2024 at 10:10 PM, socrates63 said:

In 1990 (or 1991?) shortly after the release of the 486, I paid $1500 for HP LaserJet III and $3000 for Northgate 386/33 (high end specs). Seven or eight years later, I remember getting the Casio Cassiopeia. I played Doom on both the 386 and the Casio, and the Casio was 1/10 the price and fit in my pocket (sort of). I'm just glad that the hardware prices of computer stuff have come down over time.

Except for video cards... 

I remember when I was buying PCs in the mid 90s and then building my own that the most expensive stuff used to be the CPU and the storage. Now the GPU for a good one is going to set you back half the cost for the entire build easily.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 hour ago, CrossBow said:

Except for video cards... 

I remember when I was buying PCs in the mid 90s and then building my own that the most expensive stuff used to be the CPU and the storage. Now the GPU for a good one is going to set you back half the cost for the entire build easily.

Very true -- that's the reason why I got into console gaming with the Xbox360 and PS3. I could buy a console for the price of a video card, and with consoles, I wouldn't have to worry about hardware upgrades for many years.