Video Issue

StormSurge

Looking for some help!

When I played Circus Atari a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that after a few minutes of playing, the screen would go from a perfectly normal picture to the color becoming washed out & almost staticky (sp).

I was playing some Home Run last night & the same thing happened.

When I jiggle either cable, the picture quality changes. It turns out, just moving the whole console has an effect on the picture. What's wrong with my machine?!?!

Before:

22321705815_0b01d950b3_z.jpg

After:

22134858739_70aebff5c9_z.jpg

I have a hard time typing on a tablet, so I'll have more to say when I get home.

These machines are approaching 40 years of age, so it isn't unusual. The timing of this problem indicates heat is the culprit. I would assume either the power adapter is going, or the voltage regulator inside the 2600. More info later.

I have a hard time typing on a tablet, so I'll have more to say when I get home.

These machines are approaching 40 years of age, so it isn't unusual. The timing of this problem indicates heat is the culprit. I would assume either the power adapter is going, or the voltage regulator inside the 2600. More info later.

Thanks Rick!

Interesting. I do believe I have another power adapter, so I can try that. But based on the fact that the interference changes when I move the console has me thinking it's internal. Ugh...

Here's something from left field, is it on the same circuit as an air conditioner or something like that can draw a lot of power. Sometimes you have interference that way. Or the cord could have a loose foot or connection. Run a piece of 800 grit over the rf adaptator and the frogs and make them snug it might be easy.

Here's something from left field, is it on the same circuit as an air conditioner or something like that can draw a lot of power. Sometimes you have interference that way. Or the cord could have a loose foot or connection. Run a piece of 800 grit over the rf adaptator and the frogs and make them snug it might be easy.

Good thinking Alamo, but I don't think that's the case. There is nothing nearby that should cause interference.

And I have no idea what grit is, let alone the 800 version.  ;)

Okay, so I played a bit more last night & I only noticed the issue once, with E.T. It didn't happen with any other games (I suppose I should have tried Home Run again). Is it a cartridge issue?

Also, when it does happen, it goes away once I turn off the console & turn it back on. If it was a heat issue, wouldn't it still be hot when I turn it back on?

If it is a 4 or 6 switch system, to see if it is the av cord, I might try opening the system, and playing with both ends of the cord while the game is on to see if I could replicate the issue.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Check you cartridge slot for foreign objects or corrosion. While it is on jiggle the RF cord from the Atari in short, rapid movement. If the TV flickers with the movement it may be worn out from age. If you are not afraid to take it apart you might check the solder joints of the RF switch box inside the Atari as the might have came loose. Hope that helps.

Archived