Thrift Store Finds

RickR

I'd say that price is OK if (big if) the console is in nice shape and fully works. Is the screen nice and bright? Does the power-in port work?

I think most would agree that the model 2 is more desirable...but a boxed model 1 is still pretty sweet.

Oh i almost forgot they also had a cib jaguar. The box was in great shape, but they wanted $300

Man, I've heard Quest 64 is a rather... Repetitive and uninspired RPG.

Could be....I've never heard of it.  They also had a game called "Buck Bumble", but I didn't have enough $ on me to buy it.  Also for NES, they had a "Super Mario / Duck Hunt / World Class Track Meet".  I never heard of that combo either. 

my nephews played Buck Bumble BITD , if I found one in the wild I'd snag it ... well actually almost had one but a gamestore guy said it wasn't for sale yet telling me they had to hold the stock for a couple weeks or some junk .... sorta made sense at the time but later I thought perhaps he just wanted it for himself. .... cute little game in a 3-D world like Mario-64

the 3-1 NES game came with the action set that included the dance-pad thingie ... not particularly "rare"

I would also advise NOT to use plastic card to make a purchase @goodwill ... fortunately my bank caught suspicious activity after me doing that. one time ;)

So you're saying I should go back for Buck Bumble, eh?  I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Thanks for the info on the 3 in 1 NES cart.  I don't have the dance pad, so it would have been useless.

I try to pay cash when possible to prevent issues as you mentioned.  Good advice right there.  I've been known to whip out the plastic if I see some junk I just have to have but don't have enough cabbage, though.  I think the Goodwills here are fine with credit cards -- they use modern machines and the card never leaves your possession.  But some of the other thrift stores.....cash only is probably wise. 

From what I recall, Quest 64 was the *very first* RPG on the N64, and it shows. Various reviews I've seen of it make note of the fact that the plot is extremely repetitive, even moreso than most RPGs. You go to a town, defeat a monster, go to another town, defeat another monster, rinse and repeat. The magic system is also apparently quite flawed, as it is nearly impossible to learn all the various spells without focusing all your points to level up, say, earth spells. By the time you want to level up different spells, like fire, or water, it next to impossible because all your points have been nearly used up.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

Good review link Lee.  I'm still going to grab any non-sports N64 games I come across that are less than $5.

Yeah, I like Projared's work. He doesn't have an enormous amount of review videos, but those he does generally appear to be well researched, largely unbiased, and free from sensationalistic melodramatics. A clear example of quality over quantity.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

Todays goodwill pickups. A halo Halloween mask. An empty zelda twilight case. I took a gamble on the car charger because it has a yellow tip, but it fits in the psp and charges it. Now i just need a car to AC port plug thingy

Lastly i got another old VHS shelf. These things fit boxed Genesis/master and any boxed atari games great

post-844-0-54911200-1503013540_thumb.jpg

post-844-0-50427700-1503013606_thumb.jpg

post-844-0-93943800-1503013744_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-19388700-1504407289_thumb.jpg

Been on a bit of a hot streak lately:

• Talking LCD pinball game from 1988
  • Top Gun for PS1
  • A true technical oddity - Sony Mavica camera.  It stores pictures on floppy disk!  It didn't come with a battery, but works fine with the charger.  What a ridiculous thing to buy.  Of course I bought it. 
  • A power adapter that should work with a 2600. 

I found an awesome ArcadeUSA review of the pinball game:

Edited by RickR

I had a really nice find at the Goodwill today. I found me a lime green Gameboy Color with Bomberman inside of it. And I also found a radiant red PSP 3000 that's actually a Japanese import console. Looking up this console on eBay shows it sells for about $100. pretty happy with my finds today.

post-79-0-09111600-1504725107_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kid A

So i recently got a new job. I deliver car parts to mechanic shops for pep boys. Anyway yeaterday i finished up my rout with time to spare and there was a goodwill that i have never been to before (about an hour away from my house) here is what i found

I was so happy to see animal crossing! I remember seeing the mario btos movie when it came out, but i dont remember a thing about it. So i cant wait to see it

post-844-0-43316500-1505343665_thumb.jpg