Jump to content
btbfilms76

Lynx Lounge

Recommended Posts

On 9/22/2020 at 7:47 AM, CrossBow said:

I could never get into Shadow of the Beast for any platform. I own the Genesis version and there was a version released for the PC as well back in the day. Just...never clicked with me. I think the main issue is that the combat is more about single timed punches or kicks and I've never been fond of games with cheap deaths of which, Shadow of the beast is famous for. 

The previous game you covered, Todd's Adventures in Slimeworld is a different story. I think that game is great! Although I do tend to play my Genesis release of it more than the Lynx version.

Some people love it, some hate it.  Im glad to share it with you all who never experienced the Lynx version.  What do you like about the Genesis version that draws you to its gameplay vs the Lynx?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, btbfilms76 said:

Some people love it, some hate it.  Im glad to share it with you all who never experienced the Lynx version.  What do you like about the Genesis version that draws you to its gameplay vs the Lynx?

You are talking about Todd's Adventures in Slime World here I assume? Convenience mainly. I keep one Lynx in the display case and the other in a Lynx padded case. So again, it is just easier for me to pop in the Genesis version of most of these games as it is more at the ready. I also tend to prefer the YM synth music/sound over the chiptune music/sounds of most games as well. I also prefer the controls in the Genesis version of Slime World.

 

 

Edited by CrossBow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 3:13 PM, vaxick said:

That shirt is great, I'm a massive fan of Bedtime Stories.  It's by far my favorite project from Time and Eric.  I have the Angel Man poster from season 2 myself.  

Ha!, Well you're gonna see it again in the next episode because i film them in batches then edit them all together in time.  My Kung Food episode took a dive as my computer is in the shop so that was going to be the bumper in between... oh well.  Ive seen them live and it was a blast - got to see Check it out live... good times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viking Child I think is the Lynx answer to Wonderboy in Monsterland or something similar as the game play mechanics are quite similar with defeating enemies and getting coins from them plus the way the levels look and are designed.

You know I just noticed in watching your vid on this that it uses the same effects as Switchblade II on the Lynx. And it kinda plays the same way as that one too but with a medieval setting instead?

 

 

Edited by CrossBow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2016 at 11:25 PM, The Professor said:

Blue Lightning is one of the best games of that era for any system. Play Top Gun on NES then come play Blue Lightning on Lynx and it'll knock your socks off. It was uncommon in flight games to have that ability to fly so high above the clouds and sow low to the ground, to roll the jet and spin around with so much precision. Atari used Blue Lightning as its in store retail demo at Toys R Us, Montgomery Wards, Software Etc. and other retailers using a special demo card:

 

post-7-0-87695300-1457673894.jpeg

 

post-7-0-07193400-1457673906_thumb.gif

Yes, I have one just like that myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2020 at 1:10 PM, CrossBow said:

Viking Child I think is the Lynx answer to Wonderboy in Monsterland or something similar as the game play mechanics are quite similar with defeating enemies and getting coins from them plus the way the levels look and are designed.

You know I just noticed in watching your vid on this that it uses the same effects as Switchblade II on the Lynx. And it kinda plays the same way as that one too but with a medieval setting instead?

 

 

Im gonna cover Switchblade II as well, but good eye on the Wonderboy similarities, its very close but Im guessing there is just so much stripped from the original game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not played the original Viking Child game and honestly, until your video I didn't know there were any other versions of the game. So yeah in watching your video the first thing that started to spring to my mind on its game play is that it mimics WB: Monster World quite a bit. 

And on the sound effects being the same as Switchblade II, I also started checking it out and found out that a LOT of Lynx games tend to use the same set of sound effects but I guess I just hadn't really noticed it that much before now.

I think Switchblade II is one of the few Lynx games I've played all the way through but I also am pretty sure I took advantage of the cheats in that game to do so.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CrossBow said:

I've not played the original Viking Child game and honestly, until your video I didn't know there were any other versions of the game. So yeah in watching your video the first thing that started to spring to my mind on its game play is that it mimics WB: Monster World quite a bit. 

And on the sound effects being the same as Switchblade II, I also started checking it out and found out that a LOT of Lynx games tend to use the same set of sound effects but I guess I just hadn't really noticed it that much before now.

I think Switchblade II is one of the few Lynx games I've played all the way through but I also am pretty sure I took advantage of the cheats in that game to do so.

 

Those two game I knew nothing about back in the day, so playing Switchblade II vs Switchblade I I was like... whatever this is.  Its wasn't until later I understood the bridge between Amiga / Atari St and how those systems were used to port games over to the Lynx and Jaguar.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...