5200 Memories

Atari 5200 Guy

Since I am a new member here, and to sort of let others know a bit more about me, I will start with my first gaming console.

I was 7 years old when I received a 5200 for Christmas.  It was about 4 or 5 in the morning and mother nature was calling.  I tripped over the 5200 walking through the living room on my way to the bathroom.  I fell on my knees, slung the 5200 underneath Mom's RCA TV we had at the time, and the controller even farther back.  After I finished my original mission I came back, turned on a lamp, and proceeded to check everything out to make sure I didn't break anything.  It survived, somehow, and I played Super Breakout until around 9 AM.  

Being a single kid, living where the nearest neighbor was miles away, and was turned loose in arcades with $20 worth of quarters while your parents watched a movie you couldn't attend, waking up to an Atari under the Christmas tree was one of the most important gifts a child to receive, period.  No more quarters were needed to play arcade games (or so the logical way of thinking went)...however we did have to wait for home editions of popular arcade hits to make it to the store shelves which seemed to take forever.

Every waking day I was home from school and on weekends were spent on that 5200.  I'd come home from school, I'd sit in front of my 5200.  I never had chores and rarely had homework.  I got a bad grade in math dealing with fractions and lost my 5200 for a while.  I made sure I got it back in a hurry.  Weekends I would spend with my Grandmother on my dad's side of the family my 5200 went with me.  I never left it at home if I didn't have to.   

You see, Dad passed when I was three years old, leaving Mom to raise me pretty much on her own.  Then Space Invaders found its way to our local bowling alley followed by Atari releasing the 2600.  Once the 2600 got Space Invaders I wanted a 2600.  I never knew, nor heard, of the 5200's release.  I still don't know where she got it.  There was no price tag on the box that I seen.  I took to the 5200 as if it was a brother.  I don't know why, and I know that sounds crazy, but it played a huge part in my life.  

Today I still play the 5200 but not as often as I use to.  It still remains my all-time favorite console...even surpassing the NES that occupied me during the remainder of the 1980's and early 1990's.  My favorite game?  Haha...Star Raiders on the 5200!  All-time favorite hands down.  I never experienced the issues others faced...my 5200 kept on entertaining for years.  It's still entertaining me but since I don't use it as often the controllers give fits now and then.

I am currently collecting for the 5200.  Loose carts, accessories, and I really wish that the 5200 JR would have seen production.  That is a sweet looking console.  I'm surprised it made it so far as to actually work.  I hope to pick up a Trak-Ball and find those hard-to-get controller holders so I can play Space Dungeon.  I also hope to obtain the games I never could find in the past.  I'm not after a complete collection as I intend to play the games I get.  If it is sealed in a box it won't be once I get it.

So...that is a bit about me.  I hope to make new friends along the way that share this hobby we call video games.  

Thanks.  The memories are what make me passionate about video games and Atari.  My mother spent more time with me on an Atari console than any other because she couldn't figure out Super Mario Bros. on the NES but she could whip my butt at Centipede.  I'll share more stories.  I'm a strange critter so watch out LOL.  

As for trading I don't have duplicates or anything to part with.  Should I obtain duplicates I will let members here know.  Right now I'm after a controller holder.  I'll share more stories soon.

I took to the 5200 as if it was a brother.  I don't know why, and I know that sounds crazy, but it played a huge part in my life.  Today I still play the 5200 but not as often as I use to.  It still remains my all-time favorite console...even surpassing the NES that occupied me during the remainder of the 1980's and early 1990's.

I know what you mean, Kamakazi. I really do. For me it was the Atari 7800, but same story more or less. I'm glad you're here.

I am currently collecting for the 5200.  Loose carts, accessories, and I really wish that the 5200 JR would have seen production.  That is a sweet looking console.  I'm surprised it made it so far as to actually work.  I hope to pick up a Trak-Ball and find those hard-to-get controller holders so I can play Space Dungeon.  I also hope to obtain the games I never could find in the past.  I'm not after a complete collection as I intend to play the games I get.  If it is sealed in a box it won't be once I get it.

So...that is a bit about me.  I hope to make new friends along the way that share this hobby we call video games.  

You've sure come to the right place. Welcome to Atari I/O, Kamikaze!   :pole_position_blimp: 

This is the machine I want to learn to program for because so much wasn't done.  The only issue I am having is understanding the controllers and how they are programmed.  Everything else is pretty much what the 8-bits can do minus a few memory location changes for GTIA.  I enjoy all the Atari consoles and computers because they were all innovative in one form or another for their time.  Today, they are getting harder and harder to find in the wild so I want to keep what I have working as long as possible.  

A proud 5200 owner here and am happy to own it in my collection. All I can say is that thing is huge! Atari's slogan was "Think Big" in 1982-1983. Happy to own a 2 port and 4 port. Plus the trak ball controller which is as big as a DVD player and the atarimax multicart. A great investment to collectfor the 5200.

attachicon.gif1449062075706769229273.jpg

attachicon.gif1449062104944-1216614153.jpg

Nice!!  Those trak-ball controllers were solid.  I didn't like those fire buttons, though.

Also a fan. Though I have only one unit it is an original 4 port in great condition, it works with the VCS adapter and all 5200 games. I wanted the original, the whole power supply / RF switch in one being a fire hazard is not true, sure you might see a spark IF you connect it already powered on, simply solution is to make sure it is clean and dust free and connect it BEFORE powering on lol. I have a single controller by BEST ELECTRONICS (gold contact refurbished) also have the trackball though could likely use some maintenance. Lastly I have a Atarimax 128in1 USB cartridge. I DO have several original carts as it came with it. I cannot claim much of a history or personal connection with the original release like I had with the 2600, really I only knew one person who even had one back in the day and it was the step dad of a friend but none of us were allowed to play on  :P so I was never really exposed to it. I like mine and the games for the most part, I love the size of the thing lol.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Also a fan. Though I have only one unit it is an original 4 port in great condition, it works with the VCS adapter and all 5200 games. I wanted the original, the whole power supply / RF switch in one being a fire hazard is not true, sure you might see a spark IF you connect it already powered on, simply solution is to make sure it is clean and dust free and connect it BEFORE powering on lol. I have a single controller by BEST ELECTRONICS (gold contact refurbished) also have the trackball though could likely use some maintenance. Lastly I have a Atarimax 128in1 USB cartridge. I DO have several original carts as it came with it. I cannot claim much of a history or personal connection with the original release like I had with the 2600, really I only knew one person who even had one back in the day and it was the step dad of a friend but none of us were allowed to play on  :P so I was never really exposed to it. I like mine and the games for the most part, I love the size of the thing lol.

We (Mom and me) did have a family friend who come to visit us once in a blue moon who also had a 5200, but I had the most games.  They would spend time with me on the system and it was fun to have him, Mom and me, and Mom's then-boyfriend playing Super Breakout in a four-player battle.  It was a lot of fun.  There was no one else at my school that had a 5200 let alone knew what it was.

If I recall correctly. You got the much uncommon serial number version if I remember. The one that has the capabilities that both the two and four port models deliver.

I know you were referring to Max's 5200 but the only reason I would want a VCS Adapter would be to collect it  but I would want it in its box for decoration.  I have an original 4-port so I don't dare want to risk destroying it.  It has not been modified to use that adapter.  Besides...I have a 2600 so wouldn't a VCS Adapter defeat the purpose of having a 2600?  Just saying.   ;)

Awesome story kama!  :thumb:

Welcome to Atari.io too!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I know you were referring to Max's 5200 but the only reason I would want a VCS Adapter would be to collect it  but I would want it in its box for decoration.  I have an original 4-port so I don't dare want to risk destroying it.  It has not been modified to use that adapter.  Besides...I have a 2600 so wouldn't a VCS Adapter defeat the purpose of having a 2600?  Just saying.   ;)

I have two VCS adapter's actually. One is normal but the other VCS adapter is special as it has S-video, composite / audio output with psu, it can be used as intended as well as a standalone system. I just collect and have pretty much every 2600 console, compatible adapter etc. ^_^

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Archived