Atari I/O Retro Junk Box 3!

Justin

Hey guys! It's time to start thinking about the Atari I/O Retro Junk Box 3!

We're just finishing our second round of the Retro Junk Box and it has been a huge success. Lots of members are participating, lots of great "junk" passed around over thousands of miles, and overwhelmingly positive feedback. We'd really like to do it again.

We're going to take a little break first to enjoy the Holiday Season and have enough time to come back refreshed and get into the swing of things before we start Retro Junk Box 3.

Over the next few weeks many of us will be traveling, busy with other plans, wrapping up things at work and at home, and probably pretty tired of packing and shipping out boxes for the time being. We'll come back mid-January to begin the next Retro Junk Box, with sign-up running through January 20th.

:pole_position_blimp_big:   Sign Up By January 20, 2016 To Participate!

Here's how the Retro Junk Box works, with No Swear Gamer's rules expanded upon by me.

What It Is: Someone (RickR has graciously volunteered to get us started this round) fills a large USPS Priority Mail Flate Rate Box full of retro-related items and sends it to another member. They take out what they want, fill it back up and send it to the next person. It keeps going until it returns to the original sender.

History: The first Retro Junk Box started as a collaboration between The Retro League and Cartoon Retrocast podcasts. It has also been done by The Retroist and The Retro Junkies Network.

Who Can Participate: This is open to members in good standing who have reached Orange Status* (or successful traders with at least 50 posts here), have been a registered Atari I/O member for at least 90 days, live in the US and have been active in the forums or chats during the last month. (See your Avatar to see the fruits you have earned).

* Orange Status is mysteriously rewarded between 100 & 150 posts. 

What is Required: Participants must send the box out within 3 days of getting it, pay for the postage to send it out ($18.75) and must post a photo or video of what they took out. (leave the rest as a mystery!)

Items Taken Out MUST Be Replaced With Items Of Equal Or Greater Value: The Retro Junk Box celebrates the generous and friendly spirit of the forums! Those who participate will be expected to contribute to the spirit of the Retro Junk Box, and must replenish the box with items of an equal or greater value than what they chose to take out.

Those who abuse the generosity of other participants will be denied the opportunity of participating again. Egregious violations will result in the offending member losing prize and event participation privileges, or worse, being removed from the site.

Other Notes: Since it is free to do so with Priority Mail, I would insure the box for $50 to help pay to fill another one in the unlikely event that the USPS ever lost it. Please keep the box mostly (at least 51%) gaming related. Newer items are ok if they are retro related in some way. Please try to be fair in what you replace value wise and please no duplicate games on the same system. Please avoid putting in broken items/games if possible.  Please use packing material to fill in nooks and crannies to prevent items from getting broken. (Plastic bags work good for this)

Feel free to reuse and decorate the box!

If you meet the requirements and agree to the terms, please let me know by responding to the thread along with what state you are located in so we can begin to order the list. DO NOT POST YOUR FULL ADDRESS HERE   :)

Also, if you need to be on a certain spot on the list, because you won't be available later, let us know (for instance, if you are going on a trip or work assignment).

Oh crap, now I'm committed!

Just kidding.  Yep, I plan to start putting together a worthy junk box and have it ready early January.  Sign up folks, but please make sure to carefully read the rules of the road above.  And join us if you wish.  Thanks! 

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but Junk Box 3 now has an actual physical box assembled.  Now to start filling it up.....with good junk.....

THE BOX...........is ALIVE!!!!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Can anyone or moderator let me know if i can participate on this i dont have orange status but i have more than 50 posts on the forum thanks.

I can vouch for correagonzalez.  I've had several trades with him that went well. 

Rules say "or successful traders with at least 50 posts here" sounds good to me  :thumb:

I second this.  

I'm all for correagonzalez participating! He meets the qualification requirements, has a good trade history, and participated in Secret Santa as well.

RickR is in charge of this event, who can participate is ultimately up to Rick and the community. I think we're all on board for correagonzalez.

Archived