Coleco Chameleon (formerly Retro VGS)

Atari Creep

JUST POSTED ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE (ANYONE SHOCKED? ANYONE? BUELLER? BUELLER?)  ;) 

9 mins ·

We’re delaying the Kickstarter for the Coleco Chameleon to make it even better!

Last week during Toy Fair in New York, we had the opportunity to demonstrate the Coleco Chameleon to the industry, gamers and retailers for the first time. Their response was beyond anything we’d imagined. Major retailers provided feedback on the product and expressed real interest in carrying the product for the 2016 holiday season. And, very importantly, major game companies expressed interest in providing games for our system, which meant we’d need more time to solidify those partnerships and maximize the content.

Our team’s overriding goal has always been to deliver the best possible system and experience for gamers. If there’s ever anything we can do to enhance the product, we believe the extra time is worth it. Therefore, we have decided to delay the pre-sell, i.e. Kickstarter, campaign in order to finalize our prototype and work with developers on having the best possible content. This delay will not affect our overall launch date for the Coleco Chameleon.

There has also been a whirlwind of interest, speculation and curiosity regarding the insides of the Chameleon. We are delighted by this and happy to confirm that we will be releasing photographs of the system now on our Facebook page, and we’ll focus on turning our prototype into a production-ready product.

We’ll keep you posted on any major news on our Facebook page and will let you know when we launch a pre-sell program leading up to the Christmas season. Stay tuned, and thanks for your continued support.

12794397_954528481283089_124217847401193

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Thank you to MaximumRD, DeLorean, and btbfilms76 for staying on top of this story as it breaks.

:mac_alert:  Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. just announced via Facebook that the Coleco Chameleon Kickstarter has been delayed

Here is a screen cap of the entire post and pictures as originally published 6:41 pm EST 2/26/16:

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 7.25.51 PM.png

12768300_954528481283089_1242178474011934437_o.jpg

12748028_954528487949755_4729859836810939480_o.jpg

12711304_954528484616422_5941019061207211848_o.jpg

12747512_954528804616390_4229174371091139321_o.jpg

12747414_954528807949723_1419216210857105822_o.jpg

Coleco Chameleon on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RETROVGS/

Coleco Chameleon on Twitter: https://twitter.com/retrovgs

So, the 2nd official letdown. Still calling BS on whatever PCB is in that shell. If you're really creating something unique and special and have really made up a PCB board then where on earth are the photos of the pre-populated PCB boards?

Didn't think so.

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

Already people are defending them in comments lol. As for the Coleco branding well, it was all part of their plan to entice and interest Coleco fans by securing the branding. Sadly, that is all many people see, the average casual consumer believes this is the same "Coleco" they knew and loved back in the day when in fact brands like Atari, Coleco even Commodore are merely names today, licenses to be slapped on any piece of crap simply by licensing the IP - in short it means literally NOTHING in reality but they count on misinformed nostalgic consumers to throw money their way.......

post-15-0-81698200-1456542136_thumb.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Final verdict: They blew it!

Rarely do you ever get a second chance to try and make right on your first, very royal screw up. Yet somehow, they managed to buy themselves a second chance AND a second name, even landing some very generous gaming news coverage. All for nothing.

They made announcement after announcement, endlessly hyping a non-proven to exist prototype, clearly shoved what is still proven to be nothing other than an SNES into a Jaguar shell, then daily went into the different KS goals, packages, etc. finally leading to the "Tomorrow is the big day!!!" announcement, and then last minute decide to pull out? What a load of crap. They played everyone. Wasting everyone's time and seriously screwed themselves out of being taken serious to any degree of possible recovery. It's a running joke now and can you really trust someone that mass-deletes every single comment on their social media outlets? It'll be a miracle if this thing ever materializes but I wouldn't place bets to it actually happening, especially now.

#Vaporware

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

Show of hands... is this more or less what everyone expected to happen today?

I expected anything except the Kickstater to kick off ! So in that respect yes I guess........

I see nothing in the announcement except excuses, more hype and BIG SURPRISE they are already back to deleting posts and comments and anything that is not 100% supportive on the Facebook announcement post as well as outright blocking people from commenting, I know this for a fact and it is the behavior I keep seeing from them. Anyone in doubt post and comment or question that challenges their position and just wait for the result ;) see, that is a big part of the problem people are not seeing those deleted posts and comments so they think everyone is completely on board with their decisions. I knew the kickstarter was not launching today and in the final hour that is exactly what happened. Honestly I would have been amazed and eaten my words if the Kickstarter launched but I was not too worried.  :rofl:

- M. Bison

Sean J. Michelin on Facebook made a good point with his comment "No working prototype = no Kickstarter, as per Kickstarter's rules. Simple math."

- M. Bison

Sean J. Michelin on Facebook made a good point with his comment "No working prototype = no Kickstarter, as per Kickstarter's rules. Simple math."

I was thinking the same thing. It's obvious they ran into a delay with the prototype going into the toy fair. If they didn't have it ready to go this week they can't launch their Kickstarter. I expected they were delayed and that's why I was curious to see what they'd announce today.

Yes it is and in fact all his articles and insight have been on the ball without the fanboy wishes as a factor, every article he has done was sourced from facts and actual available information and not just speculation or personal opinion. Been following his articles from the start and we have in fact messaged a lot back and forth on facebook while we watch the whole fiasco go down. 

- M. Bison

To their credit, delaying the Kickstarter until it's ready is better than trying to launch it when it's not. Probably the wisest move at this point if they had that choice. Anything less is digging a deeper hole.

Our friends at Warpo Toys launched a successful Kickstarter with their Legends of Cthulhu action figure line in 2014. Needless to say it was an awesome project with an authentic team. They were successful in part because they kept the wraps on things until they were ready to go. Hardly anyone knew about the project until Warpo had all of their pre-production Cthulhu figures, artwork, packaging, sizzle video and website complete. Only then did their project become known to the public.

This in my opinion has been the Coleco Chameleon's biggest misstep. Most all upstarts have major challenges to overcome, but they do so while working quietly in the garage where it's okay to make mistakes, not in the public eye after they've already set expectations and set their own deadlines. The public has been focusing attention on this project since the idea first popped into Mike Kennedy's head. Mike could have quietly purchased the Jaguar tooling and sold Jaguar shells without any mention of a new retro console until they were ready to go with a pre-production prototype that would wow the world. This would've enabled them to manage expectations and garner positive press and public sentiment. 

And BEHOLD with some sleuthing by some others the actual content of the "prototype" revealed! 

That's it, anyone STILL wanting to believe Mike Kennedy has not been purposely lying and deceiving? 

How much more proof is needed at this point? 

The internal board is from a DVR capture card. No matter how you slice it, however some choose to spin it there have just been to many questionable coincidences and too much double talk etc. Even if the Chameleon actually appears in some form (as apparently is the promise after the missed kickstarter launch) I am surprised anyone would seriously back anything to do with this now. 

post-1-0-53584600-1456807033_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-50732900-1456807839_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-60407200-1456807032_thumb.jpg

With this evidence the images have disappeared from the Facebook page. That's all she wrote folks. 

- M. Bison

Compare with the recent images removed from Facebook:

Yep same board, even the RED wire attached lol. 

- M. Bison

After posting a image on Colectorvsion Facebook page (one of the devs that was supposedly backing this) 

, the reply -

post-15-0-65676300-1456809483.jpg

- M. Bison

Coleco Chameleon Caught Using Capture Card In Fake Prototype

Posted on Feb 29 2016 - 10:55pm by Ryan Shoptaw

https://www.gamingconviction.com/coleco-chameleon-caught-using-capture-card-in-fake-prototype/

- M. Bison

Um..... Excuse me.. How is Collectorvision disavowing themselves of the Coleco Chameleon like they're victims kept in the dark just as much as we have been, when in fact they've been making posts leading people to believe their games "play great" on the Chameleon prototype?

Right before the Toy Fair, Collectorvision posted this photo of the Coleco Chameleon "Prototype 1" dev unit and cartridge next to a TV that makes it look like the Chameleon prototype is playing their game. Collectorvision posted the following message:

"One of our games we're working one, (sic) Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death running on the upcoming Coleco Chameleon prototype system. It plays great on it, and it will be playable at this weekend's New York Toy Fair event."

EXPLAIN THIS SHIT

post-9-0-01103300-1456818574_thumb.jpeg