Coleco Chameleon (formerly Retro VGS)

Atari Creep

Is anybody else concerned that everything here, all this stuff, will ultimately dilute the legacy of the Jaguar?

Hell I am worried it will dilute the legacy of Coleco !  ;)  :rofl:

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Hell I am worried it will dilute the legacy of Coleco !  ;)  :rofl:

Who would have thought that the future of the Atari Jaguar would be as a Colecovision?!?!?!?!?!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Is anybody else concerned that everything here, all this stuff, will ultimately dilute the legacy of the Jaguar?

Not at all. This won't affect true Jag fans and the general public most likely has no idea that it is from a Jaguar.

As you may know, I had some issues with the original campaign. 

BUT it looks like they might be addressing some of my concerns with going for a lower price point, finishing a prototype and even keeping a lid on things until everything is good to go.

The Coleco name is most likely being used to gain commercial support and main stream media, something most businesses need to be successful. Who knows? They may be selling this to stores instead of Kickstarter. 

Of course this will all come down to price and games. I am very interested what happens next.

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzvIS63h-7s

Also from our own awesome member nosweargamer !  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHUw1Vytm0M

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I agree Leo, this sounds like just a new system and won't have any real retro in it. Meaning if you want to play Colecovision games, you have to buy their collectors edition that they will put out. I think I'm going to get me an emulator machine that are like $5 and just run some roms on it. I need to read up on raspberry pi.

I'm pretty sure at the heart of the machine, it is still a VGS, but maybe slightly modified to bring down cost.

It is still designed to play retro style games (8 to 32 bit style), but in their own cartridge format.

I actually think it is smart that they have kept a lot of info under wraps so far.

It is not likely they heard it from me, but during their first campaign I recommended they only released ideas and info when it was set in stone.  One of the things that frustrated some followers was it seemed like details (such as price) changed too much as time went on.

So far, I believe they are approaching the right way the second go around.

February isn't too far away, so we should be getting more info soon.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

I'm pretty sure at the heart of the machine, it is still a VGS, but maybe slightly modified to bring down cost.

I actually think it is smart that they have kept a lot of info under wraps so far.

Two very thoughtful points nosweargamer. I have a feeling it's going to turn out that you're dead-on about that.

:mac_alert:  Just a heads up, I'm going to merge our Retro VGS conversation with this one and rename it Coleco Chameleon (formerly Retro VGS) It's all part of one larger conversation and should be in the same place.

Good idea, it really is just the same thing really.  :rofl:

I will look forward to see what they actually roll out at the TOYFAIR, someone should swing by and pull back the curtain to make sure it's not actually running off a PC (or maybe even a Jaguar lol) I hope they actually go about things the right way this time but they came back so fast and the fact they are allowing articles to out right lie and mislead people into thinking this is the same COLECO that was behind the ColecoVision when in fact it is nothing more than a name / ip does not instill confidence to me that anything will be different this time around. 

I guess we'll see. 

dmqs3Wp.jpg

- M. Bison

- M. Bison

More details released about the Retro VGS on Facebook: We've had many questions regarding the RETRO VGS system hardware architecture. Is it PC/Linux based? Android based? Actually, neither. We are going FPGA. And we've codenamed RETRO VGS the Chameleon.

Interesting to see that the Chameleon name has always been there.

Nice article. What I learned here is that the wishy-washiness is over. Mike Kennedy has taken charge of his vision, presented clear firm decisions, and will to demo at the Toy Show based on those specs. So long as they stick to this plan, show some working hardware and a few enticing games, they may be successful. :thumb:

Well, I am (shocker) still skeptical BUT with that said HERE is a post MIKE KENNEDY just made in the Coleco Chameleon thread over on Atariage I thought worth sharing for all of you following - 

Hello Everyone.

It is the end of a very tumultuous year for me and in the spirit of Christmas and the holidays I wanted to come in here and ask those of you who will listen to let the past be the past as it relates to this (ad)venture.  RETRO VGS is the past and COLECO Chameleon is the future.  The Chameleon is not just a rebranded Retro VGS.  Despite sharing some of the same internal components the hardware has been completely redesigned to lower the cost while maintaining much of its ability to play a wide variety of games in a variety of ways.  To boil this all down to its essence we just want to produce a product that is different, affordable and will bring joy to people’s lives.  The market will ultimately decide if we are crazy enough to believe a cartridge console can stand its ground in this age of digital delivery.  There are clearly lots of people on both sides of this fence and ultimately it will all come down to the games that can be played and if they are compelling enough to vie for peoples hard earned money. 

The COLECO branding was a business decision I made to bring instant brand recognition to the Chameleon.  But I did not enter into this licensing agreement lightly, knowing that if done so, we have a lot to live up to.  COLECO made some very influential, high quality and fun video gaming and electronic products during their time and we will try endlessly to carry on that tradition with the Chameleon.  The recognition of having the COLECO logo on the system and the (game and console) boxes will make the Chameleon immediately identifiable by millions of people right from the beginning.  In the end this is a good thing for all involved including us, our customers, our suppliers and distributors, our contract manufactures, potential retailers and probably most importantly to game developers.    Mark and Chris at River West/Coleco Holdings are also very behind this product and will be helping out in a variety of ways, beginning by inviting us into their booth at Toy Fair which is where they want to officially begin rebuilding this brand in more concrete ways.

We know we have a mountain to climb and are prepared to do what it takes to plant a flag at the top.  I will once again apologize to all of you for at times dissing some individuals and this community but it was hard being criticized by a group of my Atari and classic game lovin’ peers.  I let it get to me on occasion and I do regret all of it.  I am aware that we gave you all plenty to poke fun at and criticize but in the end, I believe the product will be much better for going through all of this.  In my mind, the best way for me to apologize once and for all is to ultimately create a game system that will make most of you turn a 180 and win over your support and positive influence.  And given the chance that is what I will do.

All I ask is moving forward into the New Year is you try and give the Chameleon a fair chance to stand on its own, and again forget about the past.  Let it speak for itself when we reveal it to you all early this New Year.  And finally, let’s respect one another and our opinions (some advice I am directing towards myself) and that goes for both believers and non-believers of what we are trying to do.  In the end, we all love and are passionate about video games and sometimes this passion causes us to do uncharacteristic things.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and I hope you all have a very Happy New Year!

- Mike

- M. Bison

Latest gab....   B) 

MORE TROUBLE WITH COLECO CHAMELEON SURFACES, REVISIONIST HISTORY SPOTTED

http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2015/12/23/more-trouble-with-coleco-chameleon-surfaces-revisionist-history-spotted/

As detailed in the article MIKE already seems to be back tracking and tipping over what he is saying from one moment to the next so it is tough to give him the benefit of a doubt, I just do not think he is up to accomplishing this...

- M. Bison

Well, I am (shocker) still skeptical BUT with that said HERE is a post MIKE KENNEDY just made in the Coleco Chameleon thread over on Atariage I thought worth sharing for all of you following - 

Hello Everyone.

It is the end of a very tumultuous year for me and in the spirit of Christmas and the holidays I wanted to come in here and ask those of you who will listen to let the past be the past as it relates to this (ad)venture.  RETRO VGS is the past and COLECO Chameleon is the future.  The Chameleon is not just a rebranded Retro VGS.  Despite sharing some of the same internal components the hardware has been completely redesigned to lower the cost while maintaining much of its ability to play a wide variety of games in a variety of ways.  To boil this all down to its essence we just want to produce a product that is different, affordable and will bring joy to people’s lives.  The market will ultimately decide if we are crazy enough to believe a cartridge console can stand its ground in this age of digital delivery.  There are clearly lots of people on both sides of this fence and ultimately it will all come down to the games that can be played and if they are compelling enough to vie for peoples hard earned money. 

The COLECO branding was a business decision I made to bring instant brand recognition to the Chameleon.  But I did not enter into this licensing agreement lightly, knowing that if done so, we have a lot to live up to.  COLECO made some very influential, high quality and fun video gaming and electronic products during their time and we will try endlessly to carry on that tradition with the Chameleon.  The recognition of having the COLECO logo on the system and the (game and console) boxes will make the Chameleon immediately identifiable by millions of people right from the beginning.  In the end this is a good thing for all involved including us, our customers, our suppliers and distributors, our contract manufactures, potential retailers and probably most importantly to game developers.    Mark and Chris at River West/Coleco Holdings are also very behind this product and will be helping out in a variety of ways, beginning by inviting us into their booth at Toy Fair which is where they want to officially begin rebuilding this brand in more concrete ways.

We know we have a mountain to climb and are prepared to do what it takes to plant a flag at the top.  I will once again apologize to all of you for at times dissing some individuals and this community but it was hard being criticized by a group of my Atari and classic game lovin’ peers.  I let it get to me on occasion and I do regret all of it.  I am aware that we gave you all plenty to poke fun at and criticize but in the end, I believe the product will be much better for going through all of this.  In my mind, the best way for me to apologize once and for all is to ultimately create a game system that will make most of you turn a 180 and win over your support and positive influence.  And given the chance that is what I will do.

All I ask is moving forward into the New Year is you try and give the Chameleon a fair chance to stand on its own, and again forget about the past.  Let it speak for itself when we reveal it to you all early this New Year.  And finally, let’s respect one another and our opinions (some advice I am directing towards myself) and that goes for both believers and non-believers of what we are trying to do.  In the end, we all love and are passionate about video games and sometimes this passion causes us to do uncharacteristic things.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and I hope you all have a very Happy New Year!

- Mike

See, this is where they should just stay quiet. This is picking at scabs. They don't need to do that.

If you're out there Mike, and I hope you are, please know that we're rooting for you to be successful and would love another entry into the classic gaming market. But an honest word of advice: The more that is said before you have a product to demo, the more criticism you invite to the party. Lay low, stay quiet, and blow everyone away with an awesome product when it's ready to be shown. Don't apologize, deliver. All will be forgiven.  :100: