Coleco Chameleon (formerly Retro VGS)

Atari Creep

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the project BTB. Its very interesting to get the perspective of someone that was involved. I also appreciate that you maintained your principles by refusing to do the video without a working prototype. The high ethical standards of the Jag-Bar apparently eclipse those of Engadget and CNET!

Now, I don't know MK personally but I did initially have high hopes for the first RVGS campaign. Prior to the Indiegogo attempt, I had purchased a Lynx from him through Game Gavel, backed the first Retro Magazine Kickstarter and picked up a translucent Jaguar shell. Based on those experiences and his general reputation in the scene, I thought he might be able to pull it off. The John Carlsen video soured me on that project though and when the it quickly reemerged with Coleco branding, I opted to wait in quiet skepticism. As it is, this appears to have been an outright deception and I will not support any MK projects moving forward. If I had kept my subscription to Retro, I would cancel it.

mike is just publisher of Retro, he doesn't have creative control ,  thats goes to editor and since it began they had 2, I still have my subscription to retro digital haven't most of the issues but its still a great mag

AVC Online:atari-video.club

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

mike is just publisher of Retro, he doesn't have creative control ,  thats goes to editor and since it began they had 2, I still have my subscription to retro digital haven't most of the issues but its still a great mag

I guess my point was that its his business venture, so I won't be supporting it. This is regardless of content. Although, I let my year one subscription lapse because I personally didn't enjoy it. Just not my cup o tea. Now, even if it were I would have difficulty supporting the magazine. I vote with my wallet.

I try to support any retro gaming magazine/fanzine/website etc....

which all started when Arine katz reviewed fanzines in mags like egm or vg&ce.

and when I did my fanzine I continued what he started by reviewing other zines I got.

I'm hoping to relaunch my zine again but haven't had people interested in writing

for the record I only subscribed to digital retro not print for the same reason dragon and atarilbc doesn't, vote with wallet, less expensive then paper and

plus less clutter of magazines. as for the system I prob won't put a pledge when they do kickstarter, too much drama with the system. 

so he went to apologize to the AA forums, then on fb he told fans they are a lynch mob.

as long as he is involved in the project, the magazine will be stained, you already have people sayign they wont renew subscription (cant say i blame tem, i'd do the same) and they wont support GameGavel. I dont think is hate or a lynchmob, i think is temost rational thing to do, why would people suport a scammer?

As for Gamester81, he's been two faced, he did apology in the AA forums, then went to FB and made it look they tried to lynch him (fanboy reaction achieved).

I don't think there's going to be a Kickstarter. How do you do a Kickstarter now that the prototype was revealed as a hoax?

while i cant reveal my source or more info at this time, seems Mike and company are looking for a new board (since they have nothing) so IF they try to crowdfund something in the next weeks/months is because they bought a piece of hardware

so he went to apologize to the AA forums, then on fb he told fans they are a lynch mob.

as long as he is involved in the project, the magazine will be stained, you already have people sayign they wont renew subscription (cant say i blame tem, i'd do the same) and they wont support GameGavel. I dont think is hate or a lynchmob, i think is temost rational thing to do, why would people suport a scammer?

As for Gamester81, he's been two faced, he did apology in the AA forums, then went to FB and made it look they tried to lynch him (fanboy reaction achieved).

I think the editor of the magazine will prob let mike go as publisher and prob do self publisher can't say the same for game gavel

while i cant reveal my source or more info at this time, seems Mike and company are looking for a new board (since they have nothing) so IF they try to crowdfund something in the next weeks/months is because they bought a piece of hardware

Maybe so, but there's not going to be a Kickstarter without a real prototype, and it won't be a very successful Kickstarter if people don't trust these guys.

I think the editor of the magazine will prob let mike go as publisher and prob do self publisher can't say the same for game gavel

Patrick Scott Patterson did quit RETRO today, while he never said it was because of the CC, timing seems to be perfect. Can't blame him tho

Maybe so, but there's not going to be a Kickstarter without a real prototype, and it won't be a very successful Kickstarter if people don't trust these guys.

it is true, only time will tell

Edited by Cybermario

press release from Coleco via J2Games.com today:

The ColecoVision: Coleco Chameleon drama continues. 

"It has come to our attention that the community has certain concerns over the prototypes involving the Retro VGS model. The team at Retro remains confident that their product is developed to the extent as describe; HOWEVER, in order to confirm or debase these concerns, Coleco has demanded to inspect the prototype units within a seven day time frame. At which time, independent engineers will review their findings and determine if those units are up to our standards. We will report some or all of those findings to the community so as long as they do not interfere with proprietary information. We remain hopeful that the community's concerns are merely speculations, but if there is merit to the concerns, then we have no choice but to abandon the project rather than release a sub-par product. During this time, we ask that the community allow us time to complete these inspections. Time extensions will only be granted if requested by the independent engineer. Time extensions and results will be posted here."

source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153867520339651&id=193998669650

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

It's happening..

coleco_chameleon_fb_top_posts.png

From Engadget:

Coleco Chameleon Kickstarter over before it even begins (update)

An image removed from Facebook indicates a big problem.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/02/coleco-chameleon-vanishing-act/

From Gizmodo:

Retro Gaming Console Coleco Chameleon's Launch Date Is Being Delayed Indefinitely 

Retro Video Game Systems, Inc.'s Coleco Chameleon is a Farce

http://gizmodo.com/retro-gaming-console-coleco-chameleons-launch-is-date-b-1762408017

@Dan Iacovelli:

I've built up a long history of distrust with UK publications etc, going back as far as ZZap64 reviewing a pre-production and far better looking version of C64 Operation Thunderbolt, skip forward from there to my later years looking into mag claims for likes of Unseen64/GTW and where do you start?.

Freelance staff writing reports from Atari shows claiming they've seen Adam Caveman running on A8? or in todays world footage from other versions being edited to imply actual Jaguar versions did exist in some early form, people not even bothering to fire a game up on emulation to try, nah, just spend 5-10 mins on YT that'll do, never think to wonder if someones put there on music track on, as actual game had no in-game music.

Or should i simply stick to mock-up screens/GCI cut-scenes being passed off as actual in-game stuff? (ZX Spectrum Toki, Nemesis...Saturn Alien Trilogy, Jag CD Tomb Raider), which editorial staff have made the decision to do, even when PR people have made it clear these are just mock-up screens?.

Or the worse ones yet, claiming your staff spoke to and they said X, Y and Z either in favour of a platform of your choice or again'st it, depending on your stance? Psygnosis never had a Jaguar, coder X never touched the Lynx, Coder Y was not a ninja coder on the Sega Saturn, he'd never touched it.

Basically for myself, as soon as a website or publication shows willingness to use deceit as a worthy means to an end result, it's so long and thanks for all the fish time, for myself.

The Retro VGS fiasco has simply snowballed beyond all measure, but the principles remain, IF your not going to be 100% open and honest with your people, you cannot cry foul when your found out, can you?

What is with the backlash on me, I have no connection with Retro Video Games inc, Mike or anything going on with the system.

my credentials as for being a fan-editor goes back to 80's and we was reviewed by arine katz at least 3 times(maybe more)

and on top of that we had connections with the Atari Entertainment division,TeleGames and Beyond Games.

I do agree that this whole fiasco with RVGS has gotten out of hand, and until there is proof that they have something workable

I prob won't support them. as for the magazine that different story,  its a good read not they have writers, might let my second year subscription expire though

and not renew after that. (not because of RVGS,just because I haven't had time to actually go through the digital issues)

If they just followed the slogan that the TV company Zeinith had, they wouldn't be in this mess "The Quality goes in Before the Name goes on"

I GOT THE PROTOTYPE GUYZ! THE RETRO VG.. *COUGH* COLECO CHAMELEON PROTOTYPE! CHECK OUT MY VIDEO ABOUT IT!

now SEGA is stepping up and giving us the SEGA Dreamcast 2 - "Cyclone"!!!   :atari_jaguar:  :sega_genesis:

post-52-0-07677300-1457028480_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arenafoot

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Woah Dan Iacovelli,

I think there are some very crossed wires here.

I assure you my comments are not aimed at your goodself, let alone intended as any form of 'backlash'.

Point i'm (badly) making here is from a long time UK consumer point of view, whilst the Retro VGS is indeed an utter shambles, it's by no means the 1st (and sadly probably won't be the last..) i've seen, where the media has been 'happy' to support the smoke and mirrors campain, without doing any real degree of research on the claims themselves.

I was merely replying to an earlier reply from your goodself, just kinda setting out my personal stall as to why i've gotten such a cynical attitude towards media coverage these days.

Very sorry for any confusion, but please, rest assured comments were squarely aimed at todays media, not your goodself.

:-)

oh  ok the way you put it seemed like it was.

but yeah the press/media do trend blow things out of hand.

no harm no foul ,we good.

I totally agree with delorean on gamester, a so off for sure. I unfollowed him over this crap. Hope others do the same, but I'm not calling others to do it. It would take an apology on YouTube to make me change my mind. I doubt that he would.

My new interest is how MK is going to react to the Coleco deadline. My guess is he will claim that it was damaged in shipping after the toyshow, and will end up not providing anything to them.