Kodak Wants to Revive Super 8mm Film with a New Camera

The Professor

kodak_super_8mm_camera_concept_1.jpeg

Eastman Kodak Co., the photography pioneer that was disrupted by the digital revolution, is placing a new bet on a gadget from a simpler time.

The company is using the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show to lay out plans for a film camera based on the Super 8 design launched 50 years ago. Kodak stopped producing Super 8 units in 1982, after video cameras savaged the market for home movies made with film.

Kodak introduced two models that are both the same and very different. The first Super 8 camera is a "retrofuture" design with a 21st century take on the classic version of the Kodak 8mm camera. These will be released in limited quantities in 2016 as a limited edition product, and is expected to sell for under $700. The second Super 8 camera is functionally nearly identical to the first, but is wrapped in modern design and will go on sale in 2017 for a much lower price.

kodak_super_8mm_camera_round_vs_square_w

Kodak is also introducing a modern way of processing 8mm film. When you purchase Kodak Super 8 film you will be buying the film, processing and digital transfer. The lab will send you your developed film back and email you a password to retrieve your digital scans from the cloud so you can edit and share in any way you choose.

kodak_super_8mm_film_process_plan.png

kodak_super_8mm_camera_black_and_white_h

kodak_super_8_lcd_black.jpg

kodak_super_8_round_412_black_audio.jpg

kodak_super_8mm_camera_loading_film.jpg

kodak_super_8_accessory_white_pistol_gri

Kodak Super 8 Camera: http://www.kodak.com/ek/us/en/Consumer/Products/Super8/default.htm

This doesn't make sense to me. Wasn't super 8 gone away with because of the quality was grainy compared to VHS and Betamax? Also the cost of developing film has skyrocketed. It seams like they are needlessly adding an extra step if you only get the digital copy anyway. What happens to the film? Also the cameras seem to be very rudimentary compared to modern cameras. I see a lot of washout and overexposure going on with those cameras. Not even a zoom lens, I think that I will pass.

The camera's pictured above have both the Super 8 cart and an SD card slot......why both? 

I just wish the developing of an original Super 8 cart (Kodachrome40) wasn't $75.  :(

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

This doesn't make sense to me. Wasn't super 8 gone away with because of the quality was grainy compared to VHS and Betamax? Also the cost of developing film has skyrocketed. It seams like they are needlessly adding an extra step if you only get the digital copy anyway. What happens to the film? Also the cameras seem to be very rudimentary compared to modern cameras. I see a lot of washout and overexposure going on with those cameras. Not even a zoom lens, I think that I will pass.

Retro is in.  With crystal clear HD so easy to get, some amateur filmmakers might want it for the unique look it gives.  Just like how some photographers gravitate towards using old B & W cameras because they like how the pictures turn out.

I could see a hipster crowd adopting this.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Retro is in.  With crystal clear HD so easy to get, some amateur filmmakers might want it for the unique look it gives.  Just like how some photographers gravitate towards using old B & W cameras because they like how the pictures turn out.

I could see a hipster crowd adopting this.

Like me

Retro obsessed dude

Archived