Steam’s Atari Vault Package Brings Back 100 Classic Games

Arenafoot

Steam’s Atari Vault Package Brings Back 100 Classic Games

http://www.wired.com/2016/01/atari-vault-steam/?utm_content=buffera9f5d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Atari will release 100 of its classic games in a single package for Steam, called Atari Vault, this spring, it said today. So far, it promises to includeAsteroidsCentipede,Missile Command,Tempest, and Warlordsin the package, with online multiplayer and Steam leaderboard support.

In addition, Atari’s press release promises “precision control” via the Steam Controller, which could be quite appealing if done correctly. Many classic Atari games like Centipede originally used a trackball controller, which few PC users today have access to. But the Steam Controller’s unique touch pads can mimic the feel of a trackball quite well, so they could be excellent for playing these classics.

Atari did not say which versions of the games (arcade? home? remakes?) would be included in Atari Vault, but it will show the game off at PAX South later this month in San Antonio.

Atari-Vault-Logo-582x582.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I'm glad I'm a Steam customer :D  but I don't know if I would pick this up or not.  It would boil down to price and other things.  Like I don't want to buy games I already have for free for use with Stella...as an example.  I really wish that someone who actually loves the old Atari company would jump on board and convince them to make hardware again.  A new Atari console with modern technology would be interesting to see how it would do.  One thing I don't like so far is that Atari Vault logo.  

Online multiplayer? Can they make it work without a lot of lag?

I missed that part, that's awesome.   I play tons of multiplayer online stuff on steam that's a LOT more demanding than an Atari game, so I'm sure they can handle that no problem.

The more I think about this, the more happy I am they are doing it.   By putting 100 classic Atari titles on steam it should drive interest in first-gen gaming in general.   More folks to the hobby to enjoy it with us!

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Archived