Atari concept drawings

RickR

The concept art posted on this page and most of the concepts posted in the article were done by Regan Cheng, who inspired this "Atari Artwork and Industrial Design" forum. Regan is an Industrial Designer and started his career at Atari under Roy Nishi. He also worked with Steve Jobs. While at Atari, Regan was responsible for a number of industrial design milestones including arcade cabinets, the Atari 5200, the Atari 5200 cartridge, the Atari 1200 XL computer, and setting the design standards for the entire XL line. Regan had considered going into fashion design, which later influenced how he portrayed human interaction with his designs and the trendy styles they wore. Regan and I toured the grounds of the old Atari Headquarters which you can read about here: http://www.atari.io/back-to-borregas-ave/

The bottom one have been cool to see.

I believe that is from the project that eventually became Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre. This was pretty early on and it was before Atari Adventure. Here are a few more concepts from that project:

atari-arcade-3.jpg

skeeball.jpg

The concept art posted on this page and most of the concepts posted in the article were done by Regan Cheng, who inspired this "Atari Artwork and Industrial Design" forum. Regan is an Industrial Designer and started his career at Atari under Roy Nishi. He also worked with Steve Jobs. While at Atari, Regan was responsible for a number of industrial design milestones including arcade cabinets, the Atari 5200, the Atari 5200 cartridge, the Atari 1200 XL computer, and setting the design standards for the entire XL line. Regan had considered going into fashion design, which later influenced how he portrayed human interaction with his designs and the trendy styles they wore. Regan and I toured the grounds of the old Atari Headquarters which you can read about here: http://www.atari.io/back-to-borregas-ave/

Great article Justin.  Enjoyed reading it very much. 

Archived