[PG]

movie_club_poster_ghostbusters_2.jpg

movie_club_text_learn_more.gif

Rated [PG]

Directed by Ivan Reitman

Produced by Ivan Reitman

Screenplay by Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd

Based on Characters created by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis

Starring Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney Weaver, Dan Aykroyd, Rick Moranis, Peter MacNicol, Annie Potts

Music by Randy Edelman

Cinematography by Michael Chapman

Edited by Donn Cambern, Sheldon Kahn

Distributed by Columbia Pictures

Released June 16, 1989

Running time: 108 minutes

Budget $37,000,000.00

Box office $215,400,000.00

50% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes 

:pole_position_blimp_big:  GHOSTBUSTERS II AIRS ON IFC FEB 15th, 20th, 21st, 24th & 25th

Plot

Five years after saving New York City from the demi-god Gozer, the Ghostbusters—Egon Spengler, Ray Stantz, Peter Venkman, and Winston Zeddemore—have gone their separate ways after having been sued by the city for property damage and barred from investigating the supernatural, forcing them out of business. Ray owns an occult bookstore and works as an unpopular children's entertainer with Winston, Egon works in a laboratory on the Columbia University campus, conducting experiments into human emotion, and Peter hosts a pseudo-psychic television show. Peter's former girlfriend Dana Barrett has had a son, Oscar, with a violinist that she married then divorced when he received an offer to join the London Symphony Orchestra. In order to take care of her baby, Dana quit performing and now works as a restorer at the fictional Manhattan Museum of Art, working to prepare a malevolent-looking portrait of a legendary sixteenth-century tyrant named Vigo the Carpathian of Moldavia for an upcoming exhibition.

After an incident in which Oscar's baby carriage is controlled by an unseen force and drawn to a busy intersection, Dana turns to the Ghostbusters for help. Meanwhile, Dana's colleague Dr. Janosz Poha has become increasingly infatuated with the glowering image of Vigo in the painting and falls under its spell. Vigo, whose spirit inhabits the painting, orders Janosz to locate a child that he can possess, allowing him to return to life on the New Year.

The Ghostbusters' investigation leads them to illegally excavate First Avenue at the point where the baby carriage stopped. Lowered underneath, Ray discovers a vast river of pink slime filling an abandoned pneumatic transit line. Attacked by the slime after obtaining a sample, Ray accidentally causes a city-wide blackout by pulling an electricity cable. After this, the Ghostbusters are detained. They are found guilty of investigating the supernatural, but before they can be taken away, the slime taken as evidence reacts to Judge Wexler's angry outburst and explodes, releasing two ghosts - who were murderers that the judge had executed - that proceed to devastate the courtroom. The Ghostbusters imprison the ghosts in exchange for the dismissal of all charges and that they be allowed to resume their ghost busting business.

movie_club_cap_ghostbusters_2_3.jpg

movie_club_cap_ghostbusters_2_1.jpg

movie_club_cap_ghostbusters_2_2.jpg

Development & Critical Reception

After the success of the first film and the animated series, The Real Ghostbusters, Columbia Pictures pressured the producers to make a sequel. Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ivan Reitman were uncomfortable with this, as the original film was intended to be conclusive and they wished to work on other projects. Eventually, they agreed and created a script.

During its release, Ghostbusters II was the biggest three-day opening weekend gross in history, a record that was broken one week later by Batman ($40,505,884). Ghostbusters II eventually grossed $112.4 million in North America and $102.9 million internationally for a total of $215.3 million worldwide. Based on 36 reviews, the film received a 50% "rotten" on Rotten Tomatoes. At Metacritic the film received a score of 56/100 based on reviews from 14 critics, signifying "mixed or average reviews". Variety praised the film as having amusing visuals and a clever plot, while Nick Shager of Screengrab criticized the film, opining that it "Effectively slimed everyone's fond memories of the original". On their show, Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert gave the picture two thumbs down, disappointed that the film did not try anything new. Siskel stated "The film contains little comic invention. It looks as if the filmmakers, particularly the writers, simply didn't try to do anything special." Ebert stated that he saw the movie in a theater in Michigan and out of a packed house, there was only one laugh.

The end of the world is February 14, 2016. Valentine's Day. Bummer.

Learn More: The Retroist | IMDB | Wikipedia | Rotten Tomatoes

Watch: iTunes | Amazon | eBay | Rent on YouTube

:pole_position_blimp_big:  GHOSTBUSTERS II IS CURRENTLY STREAMING ON NETFLIX

Movie Trivia

It is predicted in Ghostbusters II that "The end of the world will be on February 14th in the year 2016." which is the day of this writing.

Originally, the producers planned on having the crashed Hindenburg appear as a ghostly airship. They dumped this in favor of the apparitions coming off the Titanic.

The term "proton pack", was never officially used on screen until the Ghostbusters are in the subway tunnel and Egon says, "Before we go any further, I think we should get our proton packs."

The original VHS and Laserdisc release of this movie was in letterbox, causing complaints to video stores prompting them to call RCA/Columbia to find out if there was a problem in the printing. To make matters worse, it was not letterboxed in the film's original aspect ratio of 2.35:1, but rather letterboxed and panned-and-scanned into a 1.66:1 frame. The DVD release in 1999 was the first time that the film was presented in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio on home video.

Because The Real Ghostbusters (1986) animated spin-off series was so popular with the kids, Reitman, Dan Aykroyd, and Harold Ramis made a conscious effort to tone down the adult innuendo and behaviors from the previous movie. Between the two films, all the Ghostbusters gave up smoking, and the ghosts took on appearances closer to those in the animated series rather than the more frightening effects of the first film. It's the same reason that Janine's character was changed, and Slimer was living in the firehouse.

movie_club_night_1.gif

I remember enjoying the Bobby Brown "On Our Own" title track from the movie when it came out, although it will always live in the shadows of the original theme song.

Like Mr. Ebert, I too saw the movie in a Michigan theater. I can't recall how many laughs the film got, but I enjoyed it. As a kid, my favorite part was when they are hosting a party and ask the kids who they are going to call, and the kids give an unexpected answer (especially considering that their answer had lost a lot of popularity by 1989).

And of course, what gamer back then didn't get a kick out of  seeing this: 

post-303-0-19577200-1455492737_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-45661300-1455492740_thumb.jpg

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I never tried it "back-in-the-day" (same thing with Surge), so hopefully I'll get a chance to try it on the second go-round. Surge tastes like Mtn Dew to me. But still waiting for Crystal Pepsi to hit stores.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

This was in the back of my mind for the past week or so and then I ran across the VHS for 50 cents while out and without a second thought picked it up. Ended up watching it last night with my daughter and girlfriend. The music has definitely not aged well but they both enjoyed the movie, especially considering we had just recently watched the first one. Completely forgot I'd even seen it until watching it again but it's been forever so it was a good refresh. That music though ;-)

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

12745548_1119437831421616_58082252902684

https://www.facebook.com/DinosaurDracula/photos/a.392327347466005.95956.390924447606295/1119437831421616/?type=3&theater

this photo posted by ENM Sales & Services. Looks like Ghostbusters Twinkies with Key Lime Slime filling are on the way!

Archived