Shiny. New. Catboxes.

Clint Thompson

The idea has been burning in the back of my mind for many years for a fresh take on the quintessential AV accessory box for the Jaguar, housed in a shiny black brushed aluminum enclosure with blue LEDs and a black PCB to give it a distinguished look over the originals. I've tried reaching out to Harker on multiple occasions with no response but I feel like we could do well with a run of another 100 or so new Catboxes - maybe even as little as 50 units, but I would expect demand to be slightly higher if such a thing could actually happen. I'm just requesting he put the entire thing in PD since he has no interest in obviously going back to doing any of that.

Maybe when I'm in IL I can swing by his place to ask in person, seeing as how my e-mails have gone unanswered and the phones are always busy. I understand the whole fiasco of taking money for unfulfilled orders in the past is probably a huge deterrent for any sort of negotiations regarding the Catbox and probably wanting to avoid any and all conflict or confrontation but I'm only wanting to move forward with it and reproduce some really nice units.

Judging by a thread on AA, it may very well be possible that he has zero PCB schematics and/or anything relating to the project, but I suppose that's to be confirmed directly from Harker himself. I can't see why there wouldn't be offsite backups somewhere. I know there are cheap AV cables and a hobbyist-looking AV box available on eBay but still, I think it would be nice to do a solid and do it right. We live in a world where anything is possible... as I keep probing.

Maybe someday...

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

Needless to say it's been several weeks and not a single peep via e-mail, snail mail, or phone. Maybe all the addresses I have for him are invalid and he just doesn't check anything from his 2 e-mail accounts. He did an interview with some podcast earlier this year, so I know he's around. I just may be shooting these all in the wrong direction. If I don't hear anything back within a week, I'll get in touch with the podcast guys.

Does anyone live in or near Rockford, IL? I suppose it would make for a fun road trip.

I don't if hes still in IL, has those letters to tom been returned to sender or you just got no reply back.

I don't live near rockford so I can't help you.

when are coming this way?

Nothing returned yet and no word so I don't know. I was going to go to MGC but my plans may change. I guess if I can make it to VGS and stop by around that time, that would work too. VGS, Tom and some Chicago-style pizza... sounds like 3 solid reasons to make a trip!

Well, I'm on to something. :thumb: Although none of the original files or materials exist, it can be done.

Can anyone here who has a CatBox and a scanner perhaps, scan each side of the PCB of both boards inside of the CatBox at very high resolution and send them to me please? Greatly appreciate any help in advance, if at all possible.

I've received literally zero response from Tom and the guys who interviewed him sent a message to him on my behalf since I knew they had direct line to him but again, no response. I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel proceeding doing a remake without his blessing so to speak.

Isn't Catbox using off the shelf components? If so, there shouldn't be any issue making a new box with the same functionality and a different name.

You're right but the idea is to create a modernized replica of the original CatBox and while though I've heard it said with people who used to work closely with him that he wouldn't care, I want to hear it from it himself to grant the go ahead. Sure, there are plenty of AV boxes or cables out there already. Would be a fun project though.

Archived