Squad Challenge - Chopper Command (Atari 2600)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Chopper Command
Atari 2600
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Set difficulty switches to B, select Game 3: "Commander Level"

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! 
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST March 31st, 2016

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between March 15th through March 31st, 2016. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the 2-week competition is the victor.

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware, dedicated console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Set both difficulty switches to B to begin. Switches in this position will cause fast continuous fire from your chopper when you press the fire button. Select Game 3: "Commander Level". See instruction manual provided below for details.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

Welcome to our 8th Squad Challenge! Chopper Command is an all-time Activision classic, created by Bob Whitehead who also designed Boxing, Skiing, and Stampede while at Activision. In the back of the Chopper Command instruction manual, Bob Whitehead offered a few tips on "How To Become A 'Commando' at Chopper Command":

As you'll soon discover, Chopper Command takes quick reflexes and keen coordination. However, there is a strategic side to the game as well. For example, your truck convoys will always travel from the right to the left. And so will the enemy formations. Knowing this, you can position yourself at the left side of the screen and start firing as soon as the enemy aircraft appear. This is important because your helicopter's chances of being hit by a multi-warhead missile increase the closer the enemy aircraft get. The enemy pilots are real kamikazes, too, and they'll collide with you if they can't shoot you down.

I hope all of you have a good time, and remember this is for "nerd cred" and meant to be fun for all! I encourage you to share your strategies and experiences with all of us! You have until 11:59 pm PST March 31st, 2016 to complete this challenge and successfully submit your score. The ROM is readily available online, and the Instruction Book is provided for you below. GOOD LUCK, SQUAD!

Chopper Command.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Second try.............. 6600  :thumb:

WOW I've never played this on Game 3!!!! It is insanely fast!!!  :o

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

4th try = 14600

My trick is shoot the first 3 towards the right then reverse and attack each group of 3 by flying to the LEFT.

post-52-0-52898800-1458180312_thumb.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Ok wow first of all i have never played this one on anything but game 1. Was not expecting them to be this fast. My best so far is 11,200

I think that makes Squad Challenges a lot of fun. Playing on tough difficulty settings makes gameplay really challenging in short spurts and keeps games from going on indefinitely. 

Originally I had both difficulty switches to A and I kept asking myself "How in hell is anyone was breaking 7,000 on these settings?". Setting the switches to B made playing selection 3 much easier. Got to wave four using a stock CX-24, via Harmony on my freshly modded Sears Video Arcade 4-switch.

post-65-0-76245400-1458494656_thumb.jpeg

Is that the "Activision Anthology" cart for GBA? 

Yuppers. I no longer have a cart since I sold it after reviewing the game.

Honestly, I'm not a big Chopper Command fan, but challenges like these definitely give "meh" games like this a boost imho.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

And a PS - I played the Activision Anthology version on GBA, and my top score there was a little over 15000.  BRAVO to NSG for that score on that version, as I found it extremely difficult to see and avoid the enemy shots.  NSG, you must have eagle eyes!

And a PS - I played the Activision Anthology version on GBA, and my top score there was a little over 15000.  BRAVO to NSG for that score on that version, as I found it extremely difficult to see and avoid the enemy shots.  NSG, you must have eagle eyes!

Honestly, I don't see many of the shots until they split, so I go a lot by feel.

And there have been several times I was blown up by a shot I never saw.

Also, not a big fan of the d-pad with the game, but I've gotten a little used to it.

Good score Rick! You got the top spot......for now :D

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

For now???  Ye Gods!  Oh please don't make me play this game again.  I don't think I can outdo that score. 

One more tip.  Use the "reset" switch.  A lot. 

You are right on the d-pad.  This game requires twitch movement, and I've never been good with twitch games and a d-pad.  That's why I switched to the FB2 controller. 

Archived