Retroist Rewind: Atari 7800

The Professor

Today we begin a new monthly feature we’re calling “Retroist Rewind”. We’ll be looking back at classic episodes from our favorite retro-themed podcast, The Retroist! We’ll post monthly “Retroist Rewind” features to the Blog, look back at our favorite episodes, and discuss the show in the Forums.

If you haven’t already listened to The Retroist, you’re in for a treat. It’s a stellar podcast that celebrates nostalgia and pop culture, with great episodes covering retro games, movies, tv, and more!

This month, we revisit a recent episode about one of our all-time favorite game systems, the Atari 7800 ProSystem! The Atari 7800 ProSystem is a third-generation video game system introduced in June, 1984 as Atari’s premiere 8-Bit console for the 1980′s. It features simplified digital joysticks, near arcade-quality graphics and gaming style, out-of-the-box compatibility with the Atari 2600, and mind-bogglingly handsome industrial design by Barney Huang. It was developed by GCC to incorporate the best features of previous Atari systems and set a new benchmark for arcade-like gameplay on a home console. The Atari 7800 came bundled with two “Pro-Line” joysticks and the arcade-favorite Pole Position II game cartridge that had you zooming indy cars around four real-life inspired racetracks. The 7800 is compatible with the immensely popular Atari 2600, making it a cinch to upgrade without using clunky add-ons.

You can listen to the show here:

https://archive.org/download/RetroistAtari7800/Retroist-168-Atari-7800.mp3

From The Retroist:

“On today’s show I start off by talking about how my Atari buddy and I kept waiting for the Atari 7800 and how a love for Atari turned him against Nintendo and into the arms of Sega. Then I talk about the Atari 7800 console. I talk about its development, release, re-release, the company who made it, the people who bought that company, the peripherals, the games and much more.”

- The Retroist

Our original Blog entry is available here: http://www.atari.io/?p=1821

Archived