Rowsdower70

You know what really grinds my gears?

I'll start with a general complaint about YouTube videos, specifically retro lets play videos.

Ah, youtube...there's nothing like doing my weekly search for new retro gaming videos.  It's always exciting when you see a game you had mostly forgotten about come up on your search and it triggers a childhood memory!   

You eagerly click the link so you could walk down memory lane a bit, maybe even inspire yourself to play the game in question again someday...

But wait, whats this?   This guy doesn't know a thing about this game!   This guy hasn't done any research about it at all!  The first half of the video is them stumbling around complaining about not knowing what to do, when they've obviously never even cracked the manual!   Forget talking about the game's history, or maybe other ports that were available, this dude doesn't even know the controls!   *facepalm*  These videos usually end up with this 20-something YouTuber talking about how terrible the game is.  

Doesn't really bother me, but it comes across as lame when random viewer thinks to himself "Hey. His name is The No Swear Gamer. I know what would be funny! Leaving a swear word as a comment for one of his videos!!!"

Yeah. Real original, buddy.  :unsure:

That and people who think their cool when they randomly squeal their tires on public streets.   :pole_position:

So I'm an admin for a Facebook local Buy/Sell/Trade page with 12,000 members right....

Here's something that grinds my gears:  People who base their sale price on trying to recoup what they paid for it rather than it's actual worth.

Let me give you an example,  I don't know a lot about prices on tons of things...but I do know my vidya games.     A nameless member posts that he wants to sell his XBox One, only had it 3 months, wants $350 bucks for it.    I very politely tell him that he might have to drop his price if he wants to sell it because you can get them brand new with a warranty for under $300.   
"I paid 400 for it, I ain't sellin' it for that."  
8222876_no-jackie-chan-is-not-dead_3f1fc

On the opposite end....how about people that really lowball items for sale? 

Example:  The Atari 400 bundle I recently sold.  I'm asking $75.  Somebody offers me $35.  No crime in asking....or is there? 

I had a copy of PS1 Diablo up for 45 OBO.   Someone offered me $20 for it.     I guess there's no crime in asking, but when you lowball me like that you're generally not getting a second chance at a best offer. ;)

I'm cantankerous. 

I had a copy of PS1 Diablo up for 45 OBO.   Someone offered me $20 for it.     I guess there's no crime in asking, but when you lowball me like that you're generally not getting a second chance at a best offer. ;)

I'm cantankerous. 

Agree completely.  I say "Pfft" and block the account from bidding. 

Can I do another?

Also about pricing.  When someone asks if they got a good deal on something...there's always some jack@ss that says "I got mine for $5".  Without mentioning that was back in 1992 or that it was complete luck and not repeatable. 

Example: 
"I just bought an Atari 400 and 5 games for $75!"
"Dude, I got mine for $5.  You got ripped off". 

Can I do another?

Also about pricing.  When someone asks if they got a good deal on something...there's always some jack@ss that says "I got mine for $5".  Without mentioning that was back in 1992 or that it was complete luck and not repeatable. 

Example: 

"I just bought an Atari 400 and 5 games for $75!"

"Dude, I got mine for $5.  You got ripped off". 

I think I know just the jackass that triggered this gear grinding!   The lady who passed on the 7800 complete for 60, and the guy says  "I got mine for $35 with several games, you tell me if you made the right decision."

Here's your internet cookie, pal.   I mean obviously you post something like that because you want people to stroke your ego and tell you how awesome you are.

Not getting any problems this morning, AF...maybe a localized thing?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7094326/Facebook-down-Thousands-of-panicked-users-voice-concerns-on-Twitter-as-social-network-reportedly-suffers-disruption-to-mobile-service.html

Looks like it caused a world wide panic!

Edited by Rowsdower70

Here's one:

Shared memories on Facebook.

You know you have at least one or more friends (usually moms and/or grandmothers) who share several memories daily.   Memories such as a video of their grandchild eating food, or pictures of their dog when it was just a puppy, or...well, anything really.

Chances are, I didn't care when it happened and now you're going to repost it?!   Only the politest of friends even click like while the rest of the world sighs.

Ok so i know this one has been said to death already, but Goodwill prices have gotten ridiculous.

I went in to my local Goodwill yesterday and saw an original XBOX behind the counter and I got excited about playing star wars battle front 2 until I saw the price they wanted. $120, no box, 1 controller, original manual, and a xbox remote control.

I dont understand why their prices have been getting higher and higer? They know they are selling used items and still price way too high

Ok so i know this one has been said to death already, but Goodwill prices have gotten ridiculous.

I went in to my local Goodwill yesterday and saw an original XBOX behind the counter and I got excited about playing star wars battle front 2 until I saw the price they wanted. $120, no box, 1 controller, original manual, and a xbox remote control.

I dont understand why their prices have been getting higher and higer? They know they are selling used items and still price way too high

If you ask a manager, they will tell you they are told to....but that's not really true.   There's no uniformity, which means it's largely the manager's call.   There's several around here, and they all price differently, and the employees tell me its the managers call when there's something like a $150 Wii.   I don't mind speaking to managers about it.  I try to be friendly when I remind them that people donate stuff in good faith that they will make it affordable to people who can't afford to shop retail.  Sure would be a shame if the word got out to the local media that they are charging above retail on items being donated . (I'm kind of an asshole.)  I generally get the "Its not my call." excuse, but the item is usually marked down on my next visit. 

Many of them in bigger towns don't even mess with things like gaming, its all sent to a hub and sold online.   Your best bet is hitting the ones in smaller towns close-by.  They likely don't do auctions, and you might find some better pricing.

EDIT:  I suspect like most retail outlets, managers get some form of bonus pay based on store performance.  I could be wrong about this, but I think that's what drives some managers to price like they do.

Edited by Rowsdower70

How about the big ticket items that have a ebay auction printed out and taped to the item

Example i went into goodwill and say one of those expensive star wars fx lightsabers and it had an ebay auction taped to it. The auction said "buy it now for $500" and the goodwill priced it at $300

I've SEEN a manager pull an item off the shelf for this reason.

It was an NES game in the case.  I asked to look at it, as I couldn't see the price.  I don't remember what game it was, but it was priced at $40, and the manager basically took it from me and said "Oh, that wasn't supposed to be in there.  These games go to the on-line auctions".  So that proves that, at least around here.

Wow he should have seen that it was a mistake that it was on the floor, but still give you the chance to buy it

To be honest, i think I could have bought it at $40, and she pulled it from me once I said "No thanks".  I wish I could remember which game it was.  $40 was an ok price....not a bargain, but not a rip off either. 

All that being said, I've found some really neat treasures at Goodwill and other Thrift Stores.  From video game/computer stuff to just plain household items.  From an Atari Lynx to a canister vacuum I use in the garage (and love) and many, many other things. 

But like you all said, it's a gear grinder when they decide to price stuff outrageously.