Squad Challenge - Bomberman (TurboGrafx-16)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Bomberman
TurboGrafx-16
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: None. Continues, Saves & Passwords OK! ✔

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST May 31st, 2016

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between May 1st through May 31st, 2016. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the 1-month competition is the victor.

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware, dedicated console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: No difficulty options are available for this game. Continues, Password, and Load features are addressed below.

Special Instructions regarding Continues, Password, and Load features: Bomberman includes Password and Load features at the title screen for starting a new game by resuming from the level where you last left off. The Password feature was accessible to all TurboGrafx-16, TurboExpress, and TurboDuo owners, and allows the player to enter a Password on screen to begin at a recent level. Those TurboGrafx-16 owners with a TurboBooster module or TurboDuo console could use the Load feature, which bypassed having to type in a lengthy Password in favor of easily saving up to three games in memory. Both the Password feature and the Load feature do essentially the same job, allowing you to start a NEW game by resuming from the level where you last left off. Neither feature allows you to continue with your old score, they only allow for a NEW game starting with ZERO points from the level where you last left off. Bomber man also allows for a limited number of Continues. We are allowing you to use any and all of these features in this Squad Challenge as this is how the game was originally intended to be played. Strategy is up to you. If you play from Level 1 and lose your last life on Level 4, it's your decision if you want to start a new game with zero points at Level 4, or if you want to start all over at Level 1. Both options start you with zero points, and part of the strategy of this Squad Challenge is being sharp enough to determine your best options.

Note: There were multiple Bomberman games released for TurboGrafx-16 systems, including Bomberman, Bomberman '93, and Bomberman '94. These are all different games. We are playing Bomberman in this Squad Challenge. You must submit scores from Bomberman for your score to be valid.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

Welcome to our 11th Squad Challenge! Bomberman is an absolute gem from the 8-Bit era, with simple, challenging gameplay. Bomberman became incredibly popular on the Nintendo Entertainment System, but it was the TurboGrafx-16 version that brought about a more polished game with detailed arcade-like graphics and sound. Bomberman was released for the TurboGrafx-16 in 1991 on HuCard format, which was able to be played on the standard TurboGrafx-16 console and TurboExpress portable. When the more advanced TurboDuo console was released in 1992, one of it's pack-in titles included Bomberman as an unlockable Easter Egg. It was one of my personal favorite games to play for the system!

I hope all of you have a good time, and remember this is for "nerd cred" and meant to be fun for all! Like Atari Day, Squad Challenges are about the pure Atari gaming experience and something we should share among friends! I encourage you to share your strategies and experiences with all of us! We've updated this Squad Challenge to allow for more time, and you how have until 11:59 pm PST May 31st, 2016 to complete this challenge and successfully submit your score. The ROM and Instruction Book are provided for you below. GOOD LUCK, SQUAD!

Bomberman.pdf     Bomberman.pce

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

I almost broke 300,000 last night. I'll have to give it another try. This could have been a great game on Atari 7800, it has a great arcade feel to it and Bomberman has always reminded me of Dig Dug in some ways  :wreck-it-ralph:

My new score: 293,710

Bomberman_1.jpg

Okay, my first time EVER playing this.

Same here.......... never have played this before and didn't read the instructions neither.

post-52-0-23078000-1463011964_thumb.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

:pole_position_blimp_big:  We've extended the Bomberman Squad Challenge through 11:59 pm PST May 31st, 2016!

The Bomberman Squad Challenge is being extended through May 31st. We wanted to give everybody more time to discover this game. Bomberman is simply awesome. It's a tile game that makes the most of quick thinking and smart strategy. And the explosions are really rewarding, especially after a few power ups. If you like arcade-style puzzle strategy games on Atari 7800, ColecoVision, NES and Lynx (think Chip's Challenge, Dig Dug, Mr. Do, Pengo and Crystal Mines) you'll probably find Bomberman to be an awesome alternative to everything you've played before. Extending the Squad Challenge will also give us overworked Moderators a chance to get the Atari Cup Tournament started  :emoji-E420:

Scoring big in Bomberman is easy once you get the hang of it. Here are some surefire ways to rack up those extra points:

Bomberman_Bonus_Scoring.jpg

Instructions are in the first post if you need them. Good luck!  :thumb:

I've found that the "123,450 Points - With one enemy still left, stand on the exit when the clock reaches 3:33" is misleading. Yes, you obviously need at least one enemy left to stand on the exit without being warped to the next level (the exit will blink when all enemies are killed and you're ready to move to the next level). But you don't have to kill all but one enemy, nor do you have to kill ANY enemies to get the 123,450 points! You just have to find the exit and stand on it when the clock hits 3:33. You can have a screen full of enemies left, stand on the clock at 3:33 and get 123,450 points.

This makes getting the 123,450 points MUCH easier because you can spend all of your time looking for the exit before the clock reaches 3:33, not wasting time trying to kill all but one enemy first. For me this was a game changer.

Between finding the clock by 3:33 and standing on it for 123,450 points, and uncovering the exit last for 111,110 points, it makes it pretty easy and fun to start racking up major points in this game with a little bit of skill and intuition!

New high score: 1,023,710

Bomberman_5-25-2016.jpg

I have a new high score today. I was able to do this by finding the exit and standing on it at 3:33 as often as I can. With some skill and a bit of luck you should be able to crack upwards of 500,000 points by the end of the second board!

New Score: 1,556,100

bomberman_turbografx-16_high_score_may_28_2016.jpg

I'm finding the exit tends to be hidden on the lower left area of the board on the first screen. If you work quickly and are willing to try a few times in a row you can uncover the exit before 3:33 for major points.

Archived