Upgrade to Windows 10 -- it won't be free after July 29, 2016

RickR

A lot of people have said negative things about it but I think it's mostly due to changing instead of actual issues. I find myself liking it and while it hasn't proven to be completely problem free (it kicked my USB drivers multiple times requiring me to connect a PS/2 keyboard or mouse to re-install them manually) it is overall seemingly solid.

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

Just a fair warning to anyone that has not upgraded from 7 or 8....it will be $119 after 7/29.

10 is good.  I have had 0 issues with it. 

http://www.consumerreports.org/computers/windows-10-upgrade-wont-be-free-much-longer/

questions:

• Do you lose all of your files when you update windows? (i.e.- MP3's, MP4's, pics, etc) Do I need to backup everything on the hard drive?
  • How long does it take to download the new version?
  • How long is the installation process?
  • Isn't Win10 the one with the homepage (desktop page) that has "tiles" instead of the usual icons?

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Mostly what I hear is how windows constantly asks you to upgrade to the new OS being super annoying. It makes sense to upgrade to me because I bet that they will switch off support for old OS quicker now.

Yes ......every week there's a least one popup in the lower right corner asking to upgrade. I've actually seen full page size notices popup too.  :wreck-it-ralph:

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

questions:

• Do you lose all of your files when you update windows? (i.e.- MP3's, MP4's, pics, etc) Do I need to backup everything on the hard drive?

No.  The upgrade process retains all your files and all your programs.  But you should do a backup anyways just to be safe

• How long does it take to download the new version?

Depends on your internet connection.  It's a large download.

• How long is the installation process?

Depends on your computer performance.  On a laptop, it takes about two hours in my experience.

•  
  • Isn't Win10 the one with the homepage (desktop page) that has "tiles" instead of the usual icons?

Nope.  That's windows 8.  Win 10 doesn't have that interface.  The start menu has tiles, but you can remove them pretty easily....and it has the normal start menu list on the left side (tiles on right).

Both the old desktop and main desktop run Windows 10. Very happy with it. Keep in mind I am a tinkerer and pretty much customize / tame ever version of Windows in the end so often I never see the complaints others do. I am somewhat of a control freak when it comes to my OS so I immediately tame, disable , customize pretty much every aspect of the OS. But that said have had very little issue, runs GREAT and everything is running smoothly. Honestly if you are sticking with Windows it really is the way to go ESPECIALLY if you can get it for free because support, updates will cease on older versions at some point so I am always one to suck it up and just deal with it. Get it over with, it has been out long enough now,m there is nothing to be afraid of really. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

With that said, if you have a netbook or lower end model laptop or low performance desktop, stay away from it. Even at its lowest settings with no antivirus installed, it will just absolutely crawl and basically be very unusable. My biggest concern when upgrading is always the risk of lost files for whatever reason but thankfully Windows 10 didn't seem to have any issues at all when I upgraded.

With that said, if you have a netbook or lower end model laptop or low performance desktop, stay away from it. Even at its lowest settings with no antivirus installed, it will just absolutely crawl and basically be very unusable. My biggest concern when upgrading is always the risk of lost files for whatever reason but thankfully Windows 10 didn't seem to have any issues at all when I upgraded.

Respectfully disagree. My wife's desktop is low end (AMD E1 CPU) and it is fine (and it's running Norton too!). Plus our netbook with only 2GB of memory. They both came with win 8, which was so awful I had to upgrade. I did have to lower settings though. Both have SSD drives, so maybe that's why they are OK.

Respectfully disagree. My wife's desktop is low end (AMD E1 CPU) and it is fine (and it's running Norton too!). Plus our netbook with only 2GB of memory. They both came with win 8, which was so awful I had to upgrade. I did have to lower settings though. Both have SSD drives, so maybe that's why they are OK.

I bet that's it, SSD makes a world of difference, which sadly mine is not.

Archived