Willie!

Atari I/O Retro Junk Box V: The Retro Strikes Back!

Earlier this week in chat, I mentioned that there ought to be room in the box for some nice gold bullion, and that Rowsdower70 should feel free to slip some in, you know, as a gesture of goodwill.  So I open the box, and...

27923388932_709f591a68_c.jpg

Is it?  Could it be?!  Wait, why does one of our cats seem extra interested in the box?

27411692973_cc551de4b2.jpg

No gold.  Just gold-wrapped chicken(?) BOUILLON.

28025939195_7910e128e3_z.jpg

Pac-Man can have it.

Hahaha! nice rosdower on the bullion!

Okay, here's what I took out of RJBV:

28026759015_9e460eb43e_c.jpg

(The red splotch covers up something I put back into the box.)

I've never had an Atari Flashback, so I was really happy to get this one -- a Flashback 4.  It has Tempest!  (Well, the unfinished one for the 2600, anyway.)  I'm super excited -- wireless controllers with my Atari gaming?  Well, I never!

Crypts of Chaos  is  was one of the 20th Century Fox carts I still had on my want-list, so that was a very welcome pickup.  And the 7800 games (Joust & Ms. Pac-Man) are two that I was definitely wanting to add to my collection.  I took Asteroids to make room for a different 2600 cart.  I haven't yet checked to see which version of Asteroids it is; will it be the one with or without the copyright screen?  Place your bets now!  I was also pleased to get the mega rare photocopy label variation of Frogger.  :D

Took four manuals I didn't have: 2600 Defender, 2600 RealSports Football, the 1983 version of the Atari 5200 owner's manual (I honestly didn't know there was a different one to the original dark-colored one!), and the accompanying "How to set up this wacky switchbox thing-a-ma-jig": something that Santa Claus could definitely have used at the 11th hour on Christmas Eve 1984!

I snagged the other Trivial Pursuit joystick piece (w/pie pieces), an MST3K DVD (The Leech Woman -- yes!), a Pac-Man monster ghost tin with sour candies, and...

An awesome Game Boy Advance 453-in-1 multi-cart!  I'm hoping I can either trade for a GBA or pick one up for a good price somewhere, because a multi-cart is *exactly* how I prefer to get into new systems.  In the interim I plan to loan it to my little cousin, who still uses his GBA pretty regularly.

Great success!

Oh, one more thing -- there was something in the box that was making a low beeping/buzzing noise.  Fortunately it didn't alert any postal employees along the way!  Anyway, turns out it was super low batteries causing the death knell sound.  I took 'em out of what they were in, trashed 'em, and dropped two new AA batteries into the box.  If you take the thing that uses the batteries (it's unboxed), also take the donated batteries.

Wow, nice selections on the flashback and the Gameboy advance multicart, I see something on the lower left hand corner that looks like an Atari joystick, is that a keychain or something else? Can't tell

Earlier upthread, chas10e mentioned that it comes from a Trivial Pursuit board game.  It's the "Pop Culture" version, I think.  Pretty neat.

Oh, one more thing -- there was something in the box that was making a low beeping/buzzing noise. Fortunately it didn't alert any postal employees along the way! Anyway, turns out it was super low batteries causing the death knell sound. I took 'em out of what they were in, trashed 'em, and dropped two new AA batteries into the box. If you take the thing that uses the batteries (it's unboxed), also take the donated batteries.

I'm glad you said that was afraid when it comes this way, they might think it's some bomb, but you know how things are nowadays with packages

I'm surprised that a whole flashback system can fit in the junk box!

<Hint> That's why I had to pull out some of the chaff.  I figured if someone fit a Genesis  and a Timex Sinclair computer (still my favorite junk box item of all time by the way) in there, a flashback would fit.  See, we inspire each other!

when I first receiced it from Willie I noticed he taped the corner seam really well  

the box is in great shape ... do not cover the bar code with stickers to much ... I see a couple of close ones (namely intellivision one on top) ...should be ok though  :vulcan_salute:

That bar code is not for shipping, its for inventory of the boxes.  

As promised to Phil the nosweargamer, pictures of the fixed carts.  Yes, I did unscrew through the labels.  But I've never had good luck removing labels that aren't Parker Brothers or Activision.  Especially the Atari silver labels -- they are impossible to get off without damage. The end labels came off with heat from a hair dryer.

Lost Luggage, as mentioned earlier, had broken plastic pins inside, so the board would not stay in place.  I used an electrical wire nut as a spacer.  Good as new.  Stargate had a broken back half of the casing.  I stole the back from a donor "Defender" cart I had which had no board within. 

Thanks again for putting these in the junk box....they are now permanent members of my 2600 collection.  I love em.

post-41-0-73870300-1467602598_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-71157700-1467602602_thumb.jpg