awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

R.C. Pro-Am
Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: None

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST June 30th, 2016

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between June 1st through June 30th, 2016. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the 1-month competition is the victor.

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware, dedicated console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: No difficulty options are available for this game. 

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

Welcome to our 12th Squad Challenge! R.C. Pro-Am was developed by Rare and is a definitive title for the NES. It was the very first Nintendo game I ever bought, even before I bought the console! R.C. Pro-Am has appeared many times on various "best games" lists over the years. A survey conducted by GamePro in 1990 ranked the game as the 10th-best sports video game at that time. Game Informer put the game at number 84 on its "Top 100 Games of All Time" list. Paste magazine placed it as the 8th greatest NES game ever, saying that it is "way more fun than real remote-control cars, which never seemed to be equipped with missile capabilities". IGN listed the game as the 13th-best NES game of all time

I hope all of you have a good time, and remember this is for "nerd cred" and meant to be fun for all! Like Atari Day, Squad Challenges are about the pure Atari gaming experience and something we should share among friends! I encourage you to share your strategies and experiences with all of us! You have until 11:59 pm PST June 30th, 2016 to complete this challenge and successfully submit your score. The ROM and Instruction Book are provided for you below. GOOD LUCK, SQUAD!

R.C. Pro-Am.pdf     R.C. Pro-Am.nes

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

made it to track #16 on the 2nd try tonight...........

post-52-0-42624700-1465015388_thumb.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

for those who have never played this title....we go back to the 5th issue of Nintendo Fun Club News magazine (Feb.-Mar. 1988):

https://nparchive.net/2015/07/13/nintendo-fun-club-news-5/

nfn-5-1.jpg?w=395

(I own this issue)  ;)

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

for those who have never played this title....we go back to the 5th issue of Nintendo Fun Club News magazine (Feb.-Mar. 1988):

https://nparchive.net/2015/07/13/nintendo-fun-club-news-5/

nfn-5-1.jpg?w=395

(I own this issue)  ;)

That was the only Fan Club mag I got from Nintendo.  It got lost during a move so it's nice to see it posted here.  

Also...I have to ask as I might have missed it:  are continues OK or in a single run without continues?  I ask because the game allows for three continues (I believe) before it makes you start over.

Also...I have to ask as I might have missed it:  are continues OK or in a single run without continues?  I ask because the game allows for three continues (I believe) before it makes you start over.

Continues are okay  :emoji-E420: It's easier to just start over.

That was the only Fan Club mag I got from Nintendo.  It got lost during a move so it's nice to see it posted here.  

This is the only copy of Nintendo Fun Club News I own too. I bought it as part of a big AtariAge Magazine purchase.

Excellent score!! You must have got close to the last track which is the 24th.

I think I only got up to Track 16 or 17 on that one. I'm going to try again this week to see if I can top my score. I've always loved R.C. Pro-Am but have never been very good at it.

That level 22 is a pain.  One mistake and you are done for.  That is my trouble spot in this game.  I have made it past before but it has been a long time since I done that.  This remains one of my favorite NES titles of all-time.  I don't know how many times I rented this game, and each time I had a difficult time returning it.  I came home from school one day and a new copy of this game was sitting on my bed in my room.  I am not sure where Mom found it at since none of the stores in our area had it but it was a really nice surprise.

Oh...I improved my score slightly... ;)  I'm still working on this one.  I know I can make it past that level 22.

post-870-0-33088600-1465679543_thumb.jpg

post-870-0-32778000-1465679548_thumb.jpg

post-870-0-01227800-1465679666_thumb.jpg

I've never gotten that far before. I loved R.C. Pro-Am as a kid but haven't played it in probably 8 years. It's a lot of fun! Really a precursor to Mario Kart.

Mario Kart don't have anything on RC Pro Am. This is hardcore racing! Actually, I am saying that both games are good but I would pick RC Pro Am over Mario Kart any day. Just sayin'.

score update:

kamakazi20012 195,940
kamakazi20012 185,323
Arenafoot 138,636
Justin 122,178
Retrogamer81081 111,044
Arenafoot 108,643
Justin 98,060
MightyMattD 84,126
RickR 24,511

Archived