Clint Thompson

Your Atari "firsts" memories and experiences...

1 minute ago, Paul Westphal said:

I remember GIJoes on 82nd ave having a HUGE 2600 display kiosk with multiple games you could try. There were two game stores down at LLoyd Center mall. When the great crash hit, they had games for $10 and under. I think I got Space Jockey for $5.

My place of choice during the crash was the Kay-Bee Toys at Mall-205.  ET, Infiltrate, all the Realsports games were from their clearance bin. 

I totally forgot about Mall 205 KayBee! I think the draw for The LLoyd Center was that it was an open air mall that you could walk your bike through. It would snow and rain in the center of the mall.

Also you could catch a glimpse of Tonya Harding ice skating once in a while, but that was a little later..

More later in life, I spent my days off at Electronics Boutique, always searching for the greatest Sega CD game ever. Then the Jaguar hit shelves. I DID see a official Aircars being sold there.

It was just the cart and manual, no box. THAT was telling. 🙂

9 hours ago, Paul Westphal said:

Now I repair and restore all Atari. Funny how that works out.

Most of the game consoles in my collection, including one or two 2600 consoles, I bought in non-working condition because it was cheaper to obtain them that way and to try to fix 'em . So far all are working beautifully although I've got an original PlayStation having drive issues after a few minutes of game play.  Atari's are a bit easier to deal with, though.

My first Atari memories date back only a short time... for all of you! I first remember being exposed to Atari 2600 games via emulation on my Nintendo Wii circa 2011. I had seen Space Invaders somewhere and was DYING to play it. After my Wii was hacked, my dad loaded up Spacinvad.bin for me. I instantly fell in love with the Atari 2600 and played great games like Combat, Berzerk, and Pac-Man with my dad for days, and by myself for nearly a decade! I am very grateful to have played those games on my Wii, and I'm happy to have all those emulators on it! But still, nothing beats the real thing.

I knew about my dad's cousins 2600 for almost as long if not a little bit longer. I so desperately wanted this thing, and I knew it was broken as well. I "subtly" (a second grader's definition of subtly) hinted at wanting the system. I feel a little embarrassed for being so pesky!

At about February of this year (BEFORE all the bad stuff happened), I was in my local game store when I spotted a Sears Video Arcade System II or whatever they're called. It was $60 and came with somewhere around ten games and all of the cords and whatnot. I didn't buy it. Shortly afterwards, I heard that my dad's cousin was moving out and downsizing! He was thinking of selling his 2600 and games to a game store, but was hesitant as he wasn't quite ready to part with it. He wanted it to stay in the family, and so now it's here with me! I'm very grateful to have this wonderful system! 2020 has been a real rough year, but there are always good things.

I've said this before, but he actually had two systems. Both needed RF adapters and minor repairs. I plan on giving one of the systems (woody) back to him if he wants it, but that has been delayed due to coronavirus.

I have had a blast FINALLY being able to collect for Atari systems over the past few months. I bet my story is wildly different than most of yours. I have always loved Atari, and now I can say that I actually have one! Or three, counting the 7800! Now, I just need an Odyssey 2...

First Atari memory is still pretty clear.  Christmas 1982 we went to visit my aunt and grandmother in another state for Christmas and my older cousins had a 2600.  First time I had ever seen one and was not old or tall enough to play an arcade so they weren't on the radar yet.  First three games I watched them play was Pac-Man, Combat, and Joust.  First game I got to play was Joust and thought it was the most amazing thing ever.