Midsummer Dreams (Risqué) - for the Jaguar CD

Clint Thompson

I looked at the ABS file and burned it to show on a Jag. This, again, is great work! I never doubted that the Jag could do something like this. So, are there any updates on progress with the project? Has there been more work on it?

No updates really, life and work has taken its toll on me this year and I just haven't had nearly as much free time as I was hoping for to do anything at all really outside of just that - family life and work. With that said, this may just end up as a demo and nothing more. I'm not really sure the demand for strip poker on the Jaguar CD is really there but you never know, I may go through with it if I ever run across spare time. There's another project that I'm going to be doing renders for that will be a lot more fun in the end and meaningful and is expected to be on the Jaguar and who knows, maybe that'll push me into doing more on this here and there on the side but as it is time is non-existent. I miss coming around these forums and talking to people and reading the posts, too. What seems like a month or so quickly turns into 5. 

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

No updates really, life and work has taken its toll on me this year and I just haven't had nearly as much free time as I was hoping for to do anything at all really outside of just that - family life and work. With that said, this may just end up as a demo and nothing more. I'm not really sure the demand for strip poker on the Jaguar CD is really there but you never know, I may go through with it if I ever run across spare time. There's another project that I'm going to be doing renders for that will be a lot more fun in the end and meaningful and is expected to be on the Jaguar and who knows, maybe that'll push me into doing more on this here and there on the side but as it is time is non-existent. I miss coming around these forums and talking to people and reading the posts, too. What seems like a month or so quickly turns into 5.

Yeah, I see what you mean. No worries and definitely no rush. :)

For those who weren't able to download the .abs file to load to a skunk and make it easier to see the display output via emulator, here's a quick PG video of it displaying the images and how it would look.

I also found 2 voice actors that are willing to do voices but I'm still unsure how far I'll take this.

Also had custom carts made specifically with this game in mind but will most likely be used for Cosmic Ark.

post-181-0-01295200-1506624522.png

Edited by Clint Thompson

With the announcement of the SD card reader hardware capable of accessing storage of up to 32GB of data, my interest in doing this has somewhat been revived:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=YIW5i6vq5IQ

And so, I've continued rendering characters and scenes. This will allow for far more possibilities in regards to the number of scenes and characters and voices I could have. The best part? No expensive Jaguar CD required while far exceeding the benefits!

post-181-0-28142200-1509383624_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clint Thompson

If anyone is interested in assisting with character scripts, please let me know. I've got a freelancer doing some voices for this and plan on having a variety of options for a feature rich 1-scene demo that I can expand upon from there.

Looks like a teacher / Do The Math scene could happen as well, out of the 16 or so scenes / characters planned to choose from:

post-181-0-82278700-1509549421_thumb.jpg

Small progression on animation ideas as you can see in the video here (sorry for the crap video but you get the general idea of eye movement and hair blowing in the wind, even if you can't see it):

So far I've got an entire scene/character rendered for 5 angles with primary focus camera to be animated and having 8-10 different expressions available plus randomized voice over lines from about 50 available per character using different actors for each one so they're truly unique.

Here's a few sample audio clips of the voice actors to be used with the characters:

I'm sitting at around 24-characters right now and think that's going to be about it. Now just waiting on some special storage hardware before real progress can take place =D hopefully I'll have something playable early next year. 

A small update for those who may be interested since it's been a while.

I've finalized the intro screen with title of Midsummer Dreams and have worked out the general character selection screen(s) using a Polaroid idea with red highlighting around the picture of the character you're currently on to select and moves around with D-Pad naturally. Going right or left past the furthest Polaroid will swipe in another set of 6 characters to select from. Thankfully each character selection picture is a paltry 24k so it's not eating up a ton of bootstrapping RAM. 

The idea is to have enough space initially for the entire game logic, intro screen with intro music, all selectable characters and voice clips of the girls describing each scene. All data will be swapped for each scene/level once you actually confirm the character selection to play. 

Straight to the nitty gritty:

Intro screen:

post-181-0-72504800-1517121558_thumb.jpg

Character selection screen:

post-181-0-27473000-1517121590_thumb.jpg

...for those who may be interested in a little more of the creative process breakdown, I've included the following:

First a short test render that took about 5 minutes on the old NVIDIA Cudacore crunching PC (this is about 5% complete but stopped):

post-181-0-59126800-1517122047_thumb.jpg

Then once I knew it looked alright, did a complete render which took almost 30 minutes:

post-181-0-87841800-1517122076_thumb.jpg

A comparison to see how the final render translates onto the Jaguar through LCD - dare I say it even looks slightly better on the Jag:

post-181-0-59869800-1517122104_thumb.jpg

Wasn't sure how I was going to do the layout so I started with an idea of reflecting the scene with short, lame description bio (this will find it's way once you actually select the character and will be implemented later on and expanded upon, very preliminary image you see here and just a test)

post-181-0-28711100-1517122376_thumb.jpg

Still wasn't sure how I was going to lay the characters out and was going to have it scroll up and down picture icons on the left side but obviously scrapped that in favor of the Polaroid selection with Sharpie marker names over text printout:

post-181-0-93967300-1517122500_thumb.jpg

Started adding some character faces and names at the bottom:

post-181-0-69436900-1517122620_thumb.jpg

Came back a few days later and started changing out the pictures when the Polaroid selection idea came to mind, which I'm ultimately pleased with how it was working out and added a background since the black seemed dull and empty:

post-181-0-68558400-1517122733_thumb.jpg

The next bit in order is to do the expansion once you select a character to show the scene with reflection in a wider view with all the other pictures flying off the sreen, the text description and then the voice playback of that specific character reading it. If you don't want to play that particular person, you can always go back to the main screen and choose someone else.

I welcome any feedback/constructive criticism/suggestions/ideas/etc!