Squad Challenge - Surfing - California Games (Atari Lynx)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Surfing - California Games
Atari Lynx
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: None

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST July 31st, 2016

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between July 1st through July 31st, 2016. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the 1-month competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: We are playing for the high score in the SURFING level in California Games. Disregard the Footbag, BMX, and Halfpipe levels for this challenge. No difficulty options are available for this game. 

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Z1Qibg72g

How To Score Big Points Surfing In California Games!

Welcome to our 13th Squad Challenge! In celebration of summer we'll be playing California Games, which was developed by EPYX alongside the Lynx, and released as its pack-in title in September, 1989. It features four different “extreme games” that can be selected from the title screen – BMX, Surfing, Halfpipe and Footbag – each with a fast-paced arcade feel, allowing just 1 minute and 30 seconds to successfully finish with a new high score.

California Games arrived at the end of the ’80s in a crazy moment when beach culture was immensely popular. Movies, TV shows and music gravitated to sunny settings, surfboards, and gnarly neon colors. Commercials for Pepsi, Levi’s Jeans, and L.A. Gear played up beach life. Saved By The Bell’s “Bayside High”, those bodacious bros Bill & Ted (who have a Lynx game of their own) and even the Golden Girls all contributed to popularizing beach culture in the late ’80s and early ’90s. From Miami Vice to Vanilla Ice, the sunny settings of South Florida, Hawaii, and California served as backdrops and were romanticized as the raddest place to be.

I absolutely love California Games for Atari Lynx. It may honestly be my favorite video game of all time. There are so many reasons to love this game, and reasons why it’s one of the best games available on Atari Lynx. It was the subject of my ongoing Blog series California Games Anthology which will conclude this summer. If you like California Games and summer adventures, you can check out the first chapter here: http://www.atari.io/atari-lynx-california-games-1/

For this challenge we will ONLY be playing the Surfing level on California Games. We're playing for the high score. You can play using a real Atari Lynx or an emulator of your choice!

I hope all of you have a good time, and remember this is for "nerd cred" only and meant to be fun for all! Like Atari Day, Squad Challenges are about the pure Atari gaming experience and something we should share among friends! I encourage you to share your strategies and experiences with all of us! You have until 11:59 pm PST July 31st, 2016 to complete this challenge and successfully submit your score. The ROM is provided for you below. GOOD LUCK, SQUAD!

California Games.lnx

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

I always try to include instructions with each Squad Challenge. Unfortunately I couldn't find any instructions for the Atari Lynx version of California Games in PDF form, so I've scanned the Surfing instructions from my own California Games instruction manual. Hope this helps!

Atari_Lynx_California_Games_Surfing_Instructions_1.jpg

Atari_Lynx_California_Games_Surfing_Instructions_2.jpg

Atari_Lynx_California_Games_Surfing_Instructions_3.jpg

Atari_Lynx_California_Games_Surfing_Instructions_4.jpg

I played this evening on the MESS emulator.  I didn't break my high score...but on the emulator, you can really see and hear what a great game this is.  On the bigger screen, the graphics are just so detailed and nice.  And there's a lot of subtlety in the sounds that doesn't come through in the small Lynx speaker.  What a great system and game!

I played this evening on the MESS emulator.  I didn't break my high score...but on the emulator, you can really see and hear what a great game this is.  On the bigger screen, the graphics are just so detailed and nice.  And there's a lot of subtlety in the sounds that doesn't come through in the small Lynx speaker.  What a great system and game!

I completely agree! California Games is a fantastic title and I see why it was included as the pack-in. Surfing was always my favorite event. It never really occurred to me when the Lynx was new that the screen could be so washed out if looked at the wrong angle. When it was new the screen felt pretty advanced. Being able to appreciate all the details in California Games make it that much better! I'm glad you enjoyed this Rick, I did too  :)

Archived