Jump to content
btbfilms76

7800 Avenue

Recommended Posts

As much as I hate to leave, it’s time to move.  This has been a wonderful spot to create, celebrate, and be with family.  I feel that all of you who tune in are my guests and I cant wait to entertain you once again.  Looking forward to rebuilding the new and improved lounge so we can continue to shoot more great content - I had a thought on how to enter the lounge last night and saloon doors came to me like a dream.  See you all very soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's big news @btbfilms76, Can't believe it's already time to move on, I feel like that lounge is still new. It feels like home, it's definitely served your show well. Really looking forward to the next chapter and seeing what you build next. So much of your show is that certain tone, a nice vibe in a cool place to hang out. I hope you keep that hazy neon purple glow going on in the background. Good luck with your move!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the A7800 version of Commando outdoes the NES version. It is more like the arcade version than Nintendo's version. Also, the Nintendo version added underground bunkers to it to rescue POWs. I think that if you are going to make a game close to the arcade, stick to the original layout of the original game. Nintendo's version is just a different game. Atari tried to make their conversions like the arcade counterparts. I can see why Crystal Castles for the A2600 is different, though. It was due to the limitations at the time. But, the XEGS version looks more like the original translation. I like arcade conversions that try to reproduce the arcade versions.

Edited by DegasElite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

I think that the A7800 version of Commando outdoes the NES version. It is more like the arcade version than Nintendo's version. Also, the Nintendo version added underground bunkers to it to rescue POWs. I think that if you are going to make a game close to the arcade, stick to the original layout of the original game. Nintendo's version is just a different game. Atari tried to make their conversions like the arcade counterparts. I can see why Crystal Castles for the A2600 is different, though. It was due to the limitations at the time. But, the XEGS version looks more like the original translation. I like arcade conversions that try to reproduce the arcade versions.

Actually I think you have it backwards. The 7800 version has the hidden openings you can find by using grenades at the right spots and that takes you to underground sections to rescue POWs for bonus points. The original arcade game (Which I own) and the NES version do not have this. So in this instance, it is an added gameplay element not present in the other ports that I'm aware of. Having said that, I prefer the 7800 version of the game to all other ports I've played on home consoles. However, it can actually be a bit too easy because there are plenty of spots where you can safely stand and just keep taking out soldiers as they enter the screens and rack up unlimited points and extra lives in the process. As the game doesn't have a time limit to it, it makes it easy to spam this exploit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

Actually I think you have it backwards. The 7800 version has the hidden openings you can find by using grenades at the right spots and that takes you to underground sections to rescue POWs for bonus points. The original arcade game (Which I own) and the NES version do not have this. So in this instance, it is an added gameplay element not present in the other ports that I'm aware of. Having said that, I prefer the 7800 version of the game to all other ports I've played on home consoles. However, it can actually be a bit too easy because there are plenty of spots where you can safely stand and just keep taking out soldiers as they enter the screens and rack up unlimited points and extra lives in the process. As the game doesn't have a time limit to it, it makes it easy to spam this exploit.

 

I though that I had seen someone exploit the underground bunkers in the NES version. It was a few years back when the NES was still retailing in the stores. I do not remember using grenades to find the bunkers in the A7800 version. I have the game, too. Interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it is true. There are POW bunkers in the A7800 game. I just looked at the maps online. But, I also thought I saw them in the NES version. I saw someone playing it for the NES, and I thought they exploited the bunkers with POWs in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RickR said:

Good luck with your new adventure and space. 

 

Will do!  We’re actually moving into a 1963 Mid Century Modern home - with real wood grain and bricks.  Kinda ended up being our dream house and now a new adventure begins.  I’ll actually have a whole room to myself where we rebuild the lounge, its gonna be a blast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

I think that the A7800 version of Commando outdoes the NES version. It is more like the arcade version than Nintendo's version. Also, the Nintendo version added underground bunkers to it to rescue POWs. I think that if you are going to make a game close to the arcade, stick to the original layout of the original game. Nintendo's version is just a different game. Atari tried to make their conversions like the arcade counterparts. I can see why Crystal Castles for the A2600 is different, though. It was due to the limitations at the time. But, the XEGS version looks more like the original translation. I like arcade conversions that try to reproduce the arcade versions.

This was a great port for the 7800, super glad to have this one in my collection.  It’s amazing that so many sprites are on screen and no flickering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Justin said:

That's big news @btbfilms76, Can't believe it's already time to move on, I feel like that lounge is still new. It feels like home, it's definitely served your show well. Really looking forward to the next chapter and seeing what you build next. So much of your show is that certain tone, a nice vibe in a cool place to hang out. I hope you keep that hazy neon purple glow going on in the background. Good luck with your move!

Thanks man, thanks for the good thoughts.  When you make it to CA... Drinks on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, btbfilms76 said:

Will do!  We’re actually moving into a 1963 Mid Century Modern home - with real wood grain and bricks.  Kinda ended up being our dream house and now a new adventure begins.  I’ll actually have a whole room to myself where we rebuild the lounge, its gonna be a blast.

OMG, I absolutely LOVE the mid century designs.  Although I think it's hard to be limited in the "upgrades" you can do and not destroy the feel of the home (especially kitchen and bath).  Just an idea and no pressure, but maybe do a walk-through video of your new place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RickR said:

OMG, I absolutely LOVE the mid century designs.  Although I think it's hard to be limited in the "upgrades" you can do and not destroy the feel of the home (especially kitchen and bath).  Just an idea and no pressure, but maybe do a walk-through video of your new place. 

We love that whole design aesthetic, which is what brought us to the new neighborhood - and every house looks like it’s out of the Jetsons. We will totally keep the feel including furniture that matches, but a walk-through would be a great Idea. Just to give you an idea of what we’re dealing with, the washer and dryer is actually in the kitchen, and it opens up into a breakfast nook. Lots of brick and wood paneling, so we’re very happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome episode @btbfilms76 I watched it with my bae. Desert Falcon is one of my favorite Atari 7800 games, I love the unique blend of the Zaxxon gameplay style with the Egyptian motifs. That was a nice deep dive you did into @Video 61's Grip-Stick joystick, they did a great job bringing a highly responsive joystick to the Atari 7800. Also love how you speak of Atari 7800 games like a fine wine, "these two are a nice pairing" ... "it's got a nice 1987 vintage to it" etc. Only you could pull that off. Can't wait to see more BTB, good luck with your move!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great episode! I watched this earlier with @Justin ^ 🙂

I haven't played Desert Falcon yet, but it looks fun! I'm not really into the colors, they're really dark, but I look forward to trying this game. I like the Tim & Eric thing you did with the phone and the "ZX Spectrum!" I hope the big move goes well!  🏠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

It is a great review. I love the presentation of the V61 Grip-Stick Joystick. It really is presented well, BTB. Also, good luck on your move. Let it be a good move, of course. :O)

Thank you, it’s fun to mix it up from time to time. It’s an interesting joystick for sure, much better for shooters I believe but could be use for just about anything. Thanks for the good vibes on the move, we’re all gonna need it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...