Atari Super Pong - Black Screen

RickR

I've mentioned it before.  I have an Atari Super Pong, but it only displays a black screen.  I was able to open up the case (yes, I had the correct security screw-bit in my Harbor Freight kit), but everything inside looks nice and clean.  I'm guessing one of the IC's has gone bad. 

Well, before I just give up and call this one a nice piece of shelf-fodder (it will look good on a shelf), I thought I'd just ask if anyone here knows what would cause a blank black screen. 

I wished I was more technically proficient. but will try & share my experiances

is there sound from the internal speaker ? although I have had two different working consoles with a bad speaker a first sign of life

there is a the channel switch ... it cold be gummed up , switching back & forth mey un-gum it enough for a picture

there also may be a TV tuner potetiometer in there ... about a minute into this video

for a newer TV I dunno if there is a channel tuning thing that might help dial in a picture .... I had a console that only worked on my oldest TV

No sound at all.  I've flipped the switch, tried bypassing the power switch, turning the little pots.  I just don't think it's getting a proper start up...maybe the timing crystally thing is off...or the IC itself is bad.  Voltage looks ok throughout.  I think it's just plain dead, Jim. 

I will say that the black screen is beautifully black.  No interference or static.  :emoji-E420: So I've got that going for me. 

It's also quite interesting how much this thing looks like the 2600 inside.  The pots are identical.  Layout very similar. 

yeah with no sound or picture I would check power as you did 

got it through the switch, diodes & the transistor & all that ?

I have a hard time just tossing stuff ... I'm not sure if there is a boneyard thread going ....

if you make an offer on this thing ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Sears-Tele-Games-Electronic-Game-Sports-Center-IV-Motocross-WORKS-FOR-PARTS/331919928775?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35375%26meid%3Dd733405b53a740af9db874804f2d240e%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D232010758829

I have an extra handlebar for the top he said it worked (powered up) but prolly didn't go all through it 

OMG -- a boneyard is a GREAT idea!

I'd be all over that stunt cycle...but shipping is $20! 

oh it's $11.26 to East Coast ... :(

I have 2 differnt models already or I would have snagged it ( + a parts unit with a bad chip , missing speaker & power port )

Archived