Just Got My First Arcade Marquee...

nosweargamer

Congratulations NSG! My first arcade marquee was Kangaroo from Atari. It was given to me as a gift and I've tried to take very good care of it. Those marquees were all glass then, and if you move very often they are something you have to be very careful with when packing. I love having a piece of arcade history though.

I've been thinking about these marquees and how much work went into them as an advertisement to attract players to the game. They had to be colorful and pop out at you. They had to tell a visual story. They had to compete for your coins. It made me think that they're not unlike old gas station and Coca-Cola signage that you see in vintage stores and on shows like American Pickers.

:arcade:

I'd love to get some. Any recommendations on where to pick some up, aside from eBay?

You could try local antique stores.

I haven't seen any marquees, but I did see this at one:

13669135_1034066596690093_53744288467526

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Recently got my first arcade marquee too!

attachicon.gifIMG_3369.JPG

I just learned that the symbols in the speech bubble was at one time going to be name of the game before they settled on Q*bert! (did you say that on your podcast and I forgot?)

Evidently, there are 2 marquees: Early ones that had the symbols name like yours and later ones that actually say Q*bert.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube