What's gone wrong with Ebay

RickR

This article outlines how growth has basically stalled on ebay:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ebay-earnings-q4-2014-2015-1

I'm guessing a lot of us here both buy and sell quite a bit on Ebay.  It's one of the best places to find "retro" stuff.  From my personal experience, here's a list of what makes it hard to sell stuff on ebay:

1. Shipping costs more.  USPS has much higher prices now than just a few years ago.  The Priority Mail flat rate boxes are a great deal, but no console or large items fit in them.  Shipping across the country can be pretty high.  I recently shipped a large package that was about 4 pounds and it was $30.  High shipping costs = lower sale prices.
  2. Fees.  They are too high. 
  3. Fees.  I have to pay a fee on the value of shipping???  Dear Ebay, you realize that means I actually LOSE money on shipping due to this?
  4. Fees.  There are too many.  Fee on your sale price.  Fee on shipping cost.  Paypal fees.  By the time you're done, you're paying about 15 - 20% on fees. 
  5. Too much power for buyers.  A negative feedback can kill your chances of people finding your listing.  If a buyer is unhappy for whatever reason, Ebay will most likely side with them and refund the entire price including shipping.  You've lost your item, you've paid for shipping, AND there is no recourse.  I know a bunch of people who no longer sell on ebay due to this.
  6. No way to flag bad buyers.  Can't leave a negative feedback.  How is that fair?  I've probably had non-paying buyers two dozen times in a year. 

Who else wants to chime in with their e-bay selling experiences -- good and bad?

I've been buying and selling on ebay since 95. You used to be able to find awesome deals on shit that nobody else wanted. Now it has been reduced to mostly "buy now" for the highest price on the market. I've even noticed pawn shops are charging the trending ebay price for used games!!! I walked into a pawn shop and saw Mario 64 for $30! LOL, I meant 2005!

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

I am a VERY honest seller though. I don't want any dispute and try to be very honest and so far have 100% feedback. That's "creamween" on ebay! ;)

Same here, but that still doesn't help when you sell to someone that doesn't read.  Or is just a plain jerk. 

They had 5 sega games, I went in looking for Comix Zone, the last cartridge was backwards so you couldn't see the lable ,Bam, there it was! Clearly someone was trying to hide it!!! That's what you get for not having 3 dollars!!!!

I've had more problems as a buyer. I actually had an idiot pack a 40 year old glass in a box, loose, with a piece of newspaper wrapped around it!!! The glass was destroyed, and they tried to refuse a refund! But yes, ebay is a joke of what it once was. Scammers and assholes.

At this point, if I have some retro/gaming shit to get rid of I think i'll do it right here! We gotta look out for each other!!!

Same here, but that still doesn't help when you sell to someone that doesn't read.  Or is just a plain jerk.

You are very right on that one!! I bought the manual for Crazy Taxi, thought I was buying the game. Received the manual, went back and read the description and it was my fault. Left positive feedback and now own the Crazy Taxi manual! LOL

Archived