Sign in to follow this  
MaximumRD

E.T.'s Unknown Port | GYCW

This is fantastic, thanks for posting it.  Three gripes with an otherwise great and entertaining video review:

1) One *can* catch Atari's E.T. before hitting the bottom of a pit and "beam out" before hitting bottom if there's no phone piece there, and in fact it saves a ton of energy since hitting bottom subtracts 269 energy units.  Granted, none of this is documented in the instruction manual.  But ideally one should levitate during a fall into EVERY pit, and gently lower oneself to the bottom if needed.

2) Atari's E.T. *does* include a way to turn off enemies (choose Game 3 to turn off the Scientist and the FBI Agent, keeping only Elliott).

3) The quoted review doesn't say "inspired by", it specifically says that E.T. is "similar in format" to Adventure and Superman, and it is.  They all have game "maps" traversible in four directions, something not common at the time.

In summary: OUCH.  Seriously though, this video BE GOOD.  :thumb:

Edited by Ballblaɀer

So hey guys, I just stumbled across this video on Youtube.

While we all are aware of Atari's E.T. game, I imagine very few of us are aware that a computer gaming company in Great Britain (of all places) totally ripped off the same basic idea and gameplay for a PC conversion.

(Stick through the full intro, guys. I know it seems at first that the video is going to follow the same old trope of E.T. being the worse game ever made, but it defies that expectation very early on.)

Edited by LeeJ07

So hey guys, I just stumbled across this video on Youtube.

While we all are aware of Atari's E.T. game, I imagine very few of us are aware that a computer gaming company in Great Britain (of all places) totally ripped off the same basic idea and gameplay for a PC conversion.

(Stick through the full intro, guys. I know it seems at first that the video is going to follow the same old trope of E.T. being the worse game ever made, but it defies that expectation very early on.)

Uhm, I post the same video at the start of this thread Lee............?  ;) 

I think the threads just got merged ;)

Yeah, that's what happened. LJ07 originally posted about this in the Atari 2600 section, but I politely pointed out the fact that MaximumRD already beat him to it. I guess the two threads got merged afterwards. Edited by atarifan95