8 Track Player Review

leolinden

I forgot to post this here. I'm getting into hifi collection (records, 8 track, cassettes, all of that stuff). I made a video on my new review channel. 

This might disappear soon, copyright dispute in process. I might have to remake it.

Anyways, I got an 8 track player/stereo so I decided to make a review of it. This is on my new channel where I use my real name now (if you didn't know, Leo isn't my real name, I just used when I was younger). 

Tell me what you think about this format! 

Retro obsessed dude

Nice job, Leo! 

Honestly, I owe my love for music to the 8-track, and my Dad's fondness for picking up 8-tracks for me at the Pawn Shop or Yard Sales.

I probably had about 20 or 30 of them.  Ones I remember well are Boston's first album, Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here, Elton John's Greatest Hits, KISS - Rock n' Roll Over, and James Gang - Bang

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

3:13 - 3:49

My guess is that when you stop talking, the bot can pick up the music. Your best bet is to continue talking when you are playing copyrighted music. Just a thought.

Of course, there's a chance the copyright holder doesn't do anything and you can keep your video as is.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

My guess is that when you stop talking, the bot can pick up the music. Your best bet is to continue talking when you are playing copyrighted music. Just a thought.

Of course, there's a chance the copyright holder doesn't do anything and you can keep your video as is.

I stopped talking for like 3 seconds... lol. They keep getting worse and worse (or would it be better and better?)

Retro obsessed dude

Nice job Leo.  That stereo you found is really nice.  I had one very similar to that growing up...except ours had a record player on top and it was Panasonic.  It had a big giant warning sticker on the 8-track player:  "Do not hold down channel select button".  My brother couldn't resist and held it down.  It ended up breaking a belt and would no longer change channels.  AAARGH!

The thing that always cheesed me off about 8-tracks is when a channel change would happen right in the middle of a song!

I loved 8 tracks growing up, my dad had one in the car and the first Beatles album I ever heard was the Love Songs 8 track, so that's very special to me. Sound is not great on them, but I don't mind a little hiss now and then. It's not like I ever had top of the line players. I got a 2-XL in '79 I think, that was the first time we had a player in the house. Later I got a Sears all in one unit, with turntable, radio, dual cassette, and 8 track. When that went I would pick them up at flea markets and garage sales, along with the tapes of course. The only 8 track I ever had that did NOT eat any tapes was the 2-XL, oddly enough. I wonder if there's a stereo mod for that toy? :)

I once found an actual 8-track recorder, and I would put 90s albums onto 8 track. There was an R.E.M. video when Monster came out that had an orange 8 track with the Monster logo on it, so that one was the first one I made. It sounded terrible, but it was fun.

I have gotten rid of a LOT of 8 tracks, I don't collect them anymore. I'm afraid to put any in a player because I don't want them to get eaten, which happens pretty much whenever I put them in a player. :) I probably need to find a better one (the one I have now is a Cariole, which I never heard of before I bought it), but honestly, I would rather listen to records. I do miss the track order rearrangements and cutting songs in half for time, like Rick mentioned. On some of the Beatles 8 tapes, they sometimes added songs from other albums or even extended songs artificially. Good times. To this day, any time I hear Tomorrow Never Knows I expect it to fade out in the middle of the solo.

Nice job Leo.  That stereo you found is really nice.  I had one very similar to that growing up...except ours had a record player on top and it was Panasonic.  It had a big giant warning sticker on the 8-track player:  "Do not hold down channel select button".  My brother couldn't resist and held it down.  It ended up breaking a belt and would no longer change channels.  AAARGH!

The thing that always cheesed me off about 8-tracks is when a channel change would happen right in the middle of a song!

Some songs I still hear I expect a channel change.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Cool stuff, Leo

These 8-tracks were the portables of the day.

My family would travel cross-country and listen to the same dozen or so tapes.

My faves boiled down to a select few. And in my single-digit sized frame, tastes ranged from Ann Murray (Canadian songstress of the times), Elvis (natch!), The Carpenters (with the loveliest voice ever) and Homer and Jethro's comedy schtick on a tape that has long gone.

Yeah, listening to the same tapes made you appreciate em, sure, but I distinctly recall - as one of the earliest memories from my nacent childhood - the parental words "Not again!" in reference to some or all of these.

But..but...they were glorious! Even though the odd ex...

...perience of pause-break anticipations within songs themselves was uniquely both satisfying and distinctly unsatisfying at once.

Yeah, one of those Elvis songs had a break which always seemed to me as if the King was momentarily sailing away from sight and sound into a blinding sunset, only to have his melodious voice emerge from the other side of the ocean. Like Fergo, this tune is forever associated with that experience. Luckily for me, this information has been set aside for more vital tidbits in today's modern tape-free era.

Also, my home-based 8-track player in my teens had a Record button.

Its capabilities were sub-par, but it *did* record my tuneless twangs when my cheap guitar was plugged directly into its mic jack.

I recorded lots of useless stuf.

Luckily for me, this old information has also been set aside in brain area, possibly for modern lolcat video content appreciation.

That one where it plays the piano is now stuck in my head.

A pause-break would be nice in this case.

Archived