Atari Flashback packs, and retro games on modern consoles

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I decided to sign up because I like what I see. It seems like a lot of cool people and plenty of good conversations on this forum.

To get back on topic though, I noticed that the Atari Flashback Vol. 1 & 2 are going to be coming out soon for modern consoles. Is anyone aware of a review/preview or perhaps video related to these products?

With retro games, one may argue there is no substitute for playing on the original device, but these Flashback packs have got me curious.

Thanks in advance, and I'm happy to be here with all you fine folks. :spot: 

Welcome to the forums Lone Wolf! So great to have you join us!

If you buy the Flashback packs on Amazon, beware that other Amazon reviewers have complained that the description has been reversed between Vol.1 and Vol.2. Here's more: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=atari+flashback+classics&rh=n%3A468642%2Ck%3Aatari+flashback+classics

I've got Atari collections, Midway classics, Konami collection, Activision Anthology, Intellivsion Lives, etc etc etc on several systems.  Basically, if I see them, I buy them.  PS2, GBA, Xbox, etc.  So while I prefer the originals on original consoles, I'll collect the modern compilations and enjoy them.

PS - WELCOME to the boards! 

Welcome LoneWolf!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Welcome LoneWolf!

I've pre-ordered the XBO versions of both from Amazon, but my luck being what it is, the XBO versions were delayed while the PS4 versions shipped two weeks ago.

Once I have them, I'd happily give my impressions.

And if anyone else happens to get the XBO versions & wants some easy victories online, I'm happy to be cannon fodder. 

post-754-0-17159400-1477571605_thumb.jpg

Welcome!

You can get access to the exact same games that are on the two volumes of Atari Flashback (PS4/XB1) by purchasing Atari Vault (via Steam) and pay a fraction of the price.  Or, buy the Deluxe Edition of Art of Atari and get a free download code for Atari Vault!  :D

In my opinion, every compilation/anthology is missing enough must-have VCS games (just to name a few: Pac-Man, Berzerk, Defender) that they're not worth the cost and/or space that they take up.  Combine that with my opinion that using original joysticks/paddles is a large part of the gaming experience, a number of the games are not authentic reproductions of the originals (Space Invaders, Frogger, etc.), plus a number of other gameplay issues, and I feel like they become almost entirely skippable.

This is obviously more of a generic review than one of the two volumes you asked about, but I think it still applies.  That said, this is a good time to unveil one of my infosheets-in-progress -- a comparison of what is included on Flashback Classics Vols 1 & 2 with previous VCS compilation releases -- I'm including all of the Flashback consoles, and other cartridge/disc compilation releases that include 50+ VCS games.  I have a few things I need to sort out (I'm not sure I have the Battlezone and Millipede versions listed correctly, for example) but it's largely otherwise accurate.