7800 Homebrew Reviews

RickR

I thought it'd be kind of fun for people to post reviews of any 7800 homebrews they've purchased.  Please join in and post your own reviews.

I'll start with Frenzy, which I purchased very recently from the AtariAge store.  Frenzy is the arcade sequel to the Stern classic "Berzerk!"  For whatever reason, it wasn't as popular as Berzerk -- probably too similar to the original -- but it was a great game with sweet new features like different robots, bounce shots, and walls that you could shoot out. 

PROs

• It has speech without need of a pokey chip!  Sounds great.
  • Very faithful to the arcade version of Frenzy
  • Includes Berzerk.  2 games in 1 cart
  • 2 player modes!  Co-op and competitive.  Very cool.
  • Very challenging.  I like that a lot, as it makes you want to try "one more time" to beat your last score.

CONs

• Slowdowns when there are a lot of objects on the screen.

It's a great game, and one that isn't really available for other systems.  The Colecovision has an awesome version of Frenzy, and it's actually even better than this one.  Although the CV version doesn't have speech, or Berzerk, or the co-op 2 player modes, I still find the CV version to be more fun.  There aren't slow-downs like in this version and there are added fun screen designs not in the arcade version.  Also, the CV version is more colorful. 

I rate the 7800 version 4 out of 5 stars.  A lot of fun.

post-41-0-71978300-1478905664_thumb.jpg

Great topic, Rick! Many of the 7800 homebrews are just excellent.

I'll start with b*nQ, the Ken Siders' 7800 homebrew port of Q*bert. Q*bert is one of those titles that people either love or hate. I happen to love it and, in terms of b*nQ, you'll be hard pressed to find a better playing version on any classic system - certainly not an Atari system.

The controls are extremely faithful to the original and very accurate. The thing to remember about both b*nQ and Q*bert on the 2600 is that you must rotate your controller 45 degrees with the button facing the top. This mirrors the configuration of the arcade controller. It's awkward at first, but once you get used to it, you'll find the game is much easier. There is a normal controller mode too, but I always use the 45 degree setting.

The graphics are quite nice, with the bright colors and characters of the arcade fairly represented. In between level demos and high score screen are intact. Sound is the one weak spot. Like so many other 7800 games, TIA is the Achilles heel. Q*bert isn't a great sounding game to begin with but in bon*Q they are even harsher. Still, it's a decent approximation of the arcade sounds given the limitations of the system. I would love to see a Pokey version.

PROs

- Tight control and faithful gameplay

- Good graphics

- Best version on any Atari system

CONs

- TIA sound

I give it four and three quarters of five stars. Tons of fun and a must have for Q*bert fans!

post-65-0-47324900-1478969434.jpeg

Edited by atarilbc

The Colecovision has an awesome version of Frenzy, and it's actually even better than this one. Although the CV version doesn't have speech, or Berzerk, or the co-op 2 player modes, I still find the CV version to be more fun. There aren't slow-downs like in this version and there are added fun screen designs not in the arcade version. Also, the CV version is more colorful.

I rate the 7800 version 4 out of 5 stars. A lot of fun.

CV has bgm which helps IMO. I kind of view them as even because the two player co-op is really fun for me on the 7800 version.

FYI - I have it on good authority that a new podcast covering only 7800 Homebrews will be out in the next month or two!

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Pac Man Collection - Also available from Atari Age.

This game is so awesome.  Finally, a good version of Pac Man for the 7800.  And so many different options.  Ms Pac Man also included.  Did I mention all the options?  It's insane.  You can literally spend hours exploring all the different options they packed into this cart.  Random mazes?  More speed?  Special bonus fruits?  All intermissions are here too.

PROs

• So many options
  • Is as difficult as the arcade versions. 
  • Ghosts eyes move in the direction they travel.
  • Gets very fast very quickly.
  • Really feels like the arcade versions. 

CONs

• Sounds - TIA sounds are good, not great
  • Graphics are a little blocky.  Especially Pac Man...his rear end is pretty flat!
  • I'm really nitpicking.  There are no cons.

This game is a homebrew best seller for a reason.  If you have a 7800, get this game.  Rating:  5 out of 5 stars.

post-41-0-68228000-1479092616_thumb.jpg

PROs

• It has speech without need of a pokey chip!  Sounds great.
  • Very faithful to the arcade version of Frenzy
  • Includes Berzerk.  2 games in 1 cart
  • 2 player modes!  Co-op and competitive.  Very cool.
  • Very challenging.  I like that a lot, as it makes you want to try "one more time" to beat your last score.

Another pro:

Has the startup music from the Vectrext "Berzerk"!

Nearly passed out when I fired up the cartridge for the first time!

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.