I just got a Famicom

jmjustin6

That Famicom looks awesome.  Hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it!  Here's a few recommendations for Famicom games (none of which require Japanese knowledge as far as I know):

Final Lap

The Goonies

Gradius II

Holy Diver

Nuts and Milk

Parodius Da!

Space Harrier

Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti
Thexder

Two games to skip:

Ballblazer (WAAAAY better on the 5200/7800)

Pac-Land (lousy controls, and doesn't look all that good either)

I don't have one but a Famicom is high on my wishlist (I want one really bad!) but I have played Famicom games through emulation.  If you are into some arcade ports the Famicom got a really good port of Galaxian...probably better than any other previous console to date including Atari consoles (sorry Atari).  Konami made some great games for the Famicom that we didn't get here in the USA so I would definitely keep your eyes open for Crisis Force and someone already mentioned Gradius II which is the toughest in the series I've ever played.  There was a racing game based off those Tamiya race cars like this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mini-4WD-Limitedseries-Sunny-shuttle-premium-AR-chassis-94983-Multi-Colored/103057591?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=4189&adid=22222222227045902654&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=110122236437&wl4=aud-261800281660:pla-311400188237&wl5=9023569&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113537439&wl11=online&wl12=103057591&wl13=&veh=sem

But the game was entirely in Japanese so I couldn't understand what all was being said or what I was choosing to do.  Good game but need to learn some Japanese for that one.  I really recommend picking up a disk drive, working or not if you are able to perform repairs or knows someone that can.  It boosts the sound abilities of the system when using the disk drive...even in Zelda.  And if you have ever played Zanac you might be surprised to find that game on the Famicom Disk System.  Castlevania (known by another name overseas) also takes advantage of the disk system if you can find it on disk.  So...I'm sure there are others I just can't think of them right now.  I know Atari released a LOT of games for the Famicom system that we didn't get and vice versa.  

Beautiful machine you have there and I hope that you will let us all know what games you get and how much fun they are on the real thing.

Spartan X 2 is pretty good, it's the sequel to Kung Fu we never got here in the states.

Not sure if you have all the Mega Man games for NES or not, but I didn't, and my wife ended up getting Famicom versions for me instead because they were much less expensive.

That's the main reason why I wanted to go with the Famicom.  The Japanese versions of the games loved on the NES cost a lot less.  The machines are not too expensive either.

Just remembered a game that, while it's in Japanese, it's totally playable anyway and I think it's worth seeking out regardless: Joy Mech Fight.

This was one of the last-released Famicom games.  The graphics/animation and sound/music are both great, and the gameplay is revolutionary -- I can't think of another Vs. fighting game on the NES off the top of my head.  On top of that, it's really GOOD.

Here's a video that uses an English translation ROM:

Famicom is such and amazing and fun system to collect for. My advice is to search for bundle lots on eBay. You can generally get a ton of carts for under $50. 3 non North American games I can recommend is Wanpaku Graffiti, Holy Diver and Devil World. All are fun, Holy Diver is HARD though.

Congrats on your new adventure!!!!!!

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

One more quick question as you can see in the pic. It didnt come with a power cord. What power cord works with it? (I have been told by the seller that it has been tested and works)

After doing some research i see that using the NES power cord could damage the famicom

Edited by jmjustin6

One more quick question as you can see in the pic. It didnt come with a power cord. What power cord works with it? (I have been told by the seller that it has been tested and works)

After doing some research i see that using the NES power cord could damage the famicom

You're right, the standard NES power supply uses a step-down transformer and not an AC adapter, so using one would certainly result in damage.  This page at Famicom World should have all your answers.

Short answer: it would probably be easiest to use an AC adapter from a Sega Genesis or Sega Master System.  But any AC adapter that falls into a certain range of tolerance (9V DC - 11V DC, minimum 850mA, center-pin negative polarity) should also work.

Oh...and one more thing...Salamander...that was another game I forgot to mention.  It's Life Force but the HUD display in Salamander is a bit different than what is on the NES Life Force.  Same game otherwise.  I believe the Famicom Choplifter is more like the Atari Choplifter...I don't think they changed much from the gameplay like Sega did.  Don't quote me on that one as I have not played that one yet.  Anyone know what Blaster Master is called in Japan?  

I think it does.  That code is pretty much a Konami-Nintendo relationship.  The only difference I noticed between Salamander and Life Force was as I mentioned before...the HUD.  On Salamander it's a little more detailed with P1 Score on top of P2 Score where as on Life Force P1 Score is on the left and P2 Score is on the right.  But I believe I used the code a time or two playing it through emulation.  

I'm editing this for a correction.  I did some research on this and ... sadly ... no, Salamander does not have the famous Konami code.  Apparently it does, however, have a different ending.

Edited by kamakazi20012

Wow thanks all of yall this is great help! I cant wait to start the hunt and play these games.

Ankther question have any of yall had any luck finding Famicom games out in the wild? My local game shop has a stack of them im probably gonna pick em all up

Most of mine came from friends. A shop I visited a lot when I was in AZ had them but that was 1 of many.

Famicom carts are becoming more common here in the states however due to us importing them. So i guess it would depend on your local market.  

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!