RetroEngine Sigma Mini Video Game Console - Have you seen this?!

GervGirl

I just came across this on Facebook, what do you think?? I personally think it is pretty cool. You could hang out in any room in your house and take a collection of retro games with or take it to anyone's house. Thoughts?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retroengine-sigma-mini-console-media-player-cool#/

For $59 that would save someone like me time and energy. Something I lack these days.

Agree.  I know it's just a Rasp Pi, but someone else has done all the hard work and it comes with a cool little case.  One could easily use this as the engine for an arcade cabinet. 

Having set up a Rasp Pi emulation unit myself, I can tell you...for $60 if it's all set up for you...that's a bargain. 

After the Retro VGS, I'd be leery of any crowdfunding deal that required significant cash.

Also, I'm curious if Sega could challenge the case design. Looks pretty Genesisy to me.

It's already funded, so it seems the best bet would be to wait until it officially came out and eliminate any risk of getting burned.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

If you're going to go with a Raspberry Pi system I recommend the Super Nestro. Essentially a Raspberry Pi system modded into an original Super Nintendo or Super Famicom. Yo-Yo got me hooked on these a while back. It was created by Brian Gin, a concept designer in Redwood City, His store goes on vacation sometimes but he ships quality products.

http://www.supernestro.com

post-138-0-95430600-1430887749.jpg

After the Retro VGS, I'd be leery of any crowdfunding deal that required significant cash.
Also, I'm curious if Sega could challenge the case design. Looks pretty Genesisy to me.
It's already funded, so it seems the best bet would be to wait until it officially came out and eliminate any risk of getting burned.

Yes I agree with not risking it now and waiting for it to officially come out. It reached it's mark and then some. Though I will wonder if it will ever be able to be official over any kind of licensing.

It even says on the site that they do not guarantee the product like if the company that is producing them could go out of business or whatever so invest at your own risk. I still like the idea of it but of course nothing is as good as the real thing!!

How hard is it to set one up? I've thought about getting one but I know nothing about them.

It isn't hard if you like to figure stuff out.  There are images you load onto an SD card that will boot right up.  The trouble comes in getting your ROM images on the device (use an FTP client), and in getting your controller set up (for both the menus and the emulators you choose).  If this is all done for you with the device above...it's definitely worth the $50.

The other issue is getting the right version of ROM files.  For example, the version of MAME may require a very specific rom set version.  And that can be painful. 

Edited by RickR