Wanted: Feedback for Beef Drop (cribbed from NoSwearGamer)

dauber

I'm looking for feedback for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 )

What are your memories of BurgerTime and/or thoughts on Beef Drop on the 7800?

This game will be covered on Episode 1.

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com

Thanks!

Edited by dauber

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Not really; I'm not 100% sure what my recording schedule will be like (typically I record in the mornings before I leave for work -- I already have episode 1 done except for feedback :) ), but what doesn't make it in time will roll over into the next show. If episodes 0 and 1 are any indications, I'll be recording this podcast in sections, kinda like what Brian Wilson did with Smile in 1967, so what can possibly go wrong?

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

I love Burgertime in the arcade, and the various home versions. But the name "Beef Drop" is not good. Has a bathroom connotation if you ask me.

I agree and wish it had a different name. I didn't want to be critical though because the game's author is a good guy and he did a superb job bringing this title to the 7800. I have no complaints about the game outside of the name. It's as good as the arcade. I wish licensing rights had been different and the game could've been released as "Burgertime".

Dang, sorry I didn't get something in before the bell. Beef Drop is a great homebrew title, especially with Pokey sound. The controls are responsive and it retains the core gameplay and frenetic pace of the original. My one critique is that it is underwhelming graphically. I wish the sprites were a little more colorful and better animated. Other than that, it faithfully replicates the Burgertime experience on the 7800.

From reading the original thread, I think the whole point of the name "Beef Drop" was for it to be the potty humor of a nine-year-old boy. :)

I must  have missed that.  But how funny that the author's intention is a turn-off for this uninformed gamer.  :pile:

We should suggest alternative names!  How about "Burger Chef", "Burger Fun", or "Quarter Pounder Royale". 

I must  have missed that.  But how funny that the author's intention is a turn-off for this uninformed gamer.  :pile:

We should suggest alternative names!  How about "Burger Chef", "Burger Fun", or "Quarter Pounder Royale". 

I like Burger Chef  :emoji-E420:

Great game by Ken Siders. The 7800 feels like it has a "Swiss Cheese" library with lots of holes in it where certain games should have been but were absent. Ken Siders did a great job filling in the blanks fixing history with getting Burger Time and Q*bert to the 7800, despite the different names. Great games, couldn't ask for anything more.