Which 2600 model are you particularly fond of?

MaximumRD

For me this is a tough question. I guess my vote for my preferred VCS would go to the Sears Heavy as well. I like the walnut finish that was used as it was still very 70s but also very different from most other wood grain designs used back then.

However, my very first actual VCS was the 4 switch woody I got in Christmas of '81 or '82. Can't quite remember which year now.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I'm currently using a Sears 6-switch as my go-to console after almost exclusively using my 7800 as a 2600. Decided to switch to the 2600 for easier access to the switches and whatnot. I also have a Jr., but I've never had it hooked up. I'm really happy with my Sears; while I can't compare it with many other models hands-on, I enjoy the switches, both aesthetically and for having clearer difficulty labeling, and the RF output looks pretty nice to me. I may get my Jr. modded at some point, though, so it would take the spotlight then. 

You know I actually have TWO Atari Jr's. MAYBE I will clean them up and combine the two so that one is clearly the better looking / performing stock model and the left over second unit maybe I can consider doing some sort of "mod" , nothing fancy as I am not that skilled but if the case is more worn perhaps a paint job or something. Always wanted to try my hand at something like that and would rather do it on a spare Jr. than a 4 or 6 switch. Hmmmm......

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I have to go with the "Fun is Back for $50" 2600 Jr. I got into things a bit later since I was born in '78 and I got it for Christmas '86. It was my first console, so that's basically what started it all for me. My original broke (the power port came off of the board...didn't have the technical knowledge or tools to fix it back then), but when I went back to get another, I went with the 2600 again. 

The Sears VCS never reached Europe's shores, so it is really interesting for me, how popular it still is in the States. Life is so colourful!

I always wondered if the Sears-exclusive branding helped or hurt Sears' sales.  Back then, most of the kids I knew avoided Sears labeling.  The consoles themselves, though, do look really nice.  A little chrome instead of orange.  Silver face plate.  And the burled wood-grain front. 

As an adult, I really like the styling of the Sears Video Arcade. In fact, my main unit is a Sears 4-switch. The white faceplate, chrome bezel and burled wood-grain look upscale. The Video Arcade II is nice too.

Added a before and after picture of my Sears unit.

post-65-0-12250000-1503250332.jpeg

Edited by atarilbc