Squad Challenge - Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Cosmic Ark
Atari 2600
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 4 (Advanced Mission), Set Left Difficulty Switch to B

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST January 31st, 2017

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between January 1st through January 31st, 2017. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the 1-month competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Game 4 (Advanced Cosmic Ark Mission), Set Left Difficulty Switch to B

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

Cosmic_Ark.binCosmic_Ark.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

This has recently become a favorite, I thank the Atari portable for that! forgotten for many years! Just to be sure, played on the 7800 the switch should be to the left?

I play this on portable too, but when I do it has a vertical line that crosses back and forth on my screen.  Not a game breaker, but annoying for sure.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I couldn't seem to fit my Cosmic Ark cartridge in my 7800, so I've been using an emulator instead (at least until I eventually get my 2600 out). Are there difference in the slot sizes of 7800s, or is it my cartridge?

The cartridge slot on my 7800 is extremely snug no matter what 2600/7800 game I use with it. At times it feels like I'm going to break it just trying to insert or remove a cartridge. So I don't use my 7800 that often for that reason. I definitely don't use it for any 2600 games if I don't have to.

I think I discovered the trick to this one.  

post-870-0-82619400-1483653890_thumb.jpg

post-870-0-02814900-1483653893_thumb.jpg

Here's the trick:  Ignore getting the life forms on the second planet.  Concentrate on protecting the Ark from the asteroids.  You should be able to endure the game long enough to get a good score.  That's what I did.  I tried to get the life forms many times with no success and I concentrated on shooting the asteroids coming at my Ark instead and lasted a lot longer in this game.  If you manage to get both life forms on the second planet then congrats...but it is not easy to say the least. 

Good luck!  Hope that trick helps. Shooting the asteroids will keep your energy level from depleting.  Be careful not to get hit by any of the asteroids because, unless you can get life forms off the second planet, there will be no way to restore the energy you lost.  I can't wait to see what you and other IO members post. 

The cartridge slot on my 7800 is extremely snug no matter what 2600/7800 game I use with it. At times it feels like I'm going to break it just trying to insert or remove a cartridge. So I don't use my 7800 that often for that reason. I definitely don't use it for any 2600 games if I don't have to.

Eh, just snap it like I did... did it on accident with an Activision cart. Got a nice crack in the cart guide now, but all my games fit and I have no issues  :thumb:

I just discovered a bug in this game. I was using an emulator, but I assume it also occurs using real hardware. While on the planet, when the alarm is going off, push reset. The game starts over but the alarm will continue to go off for the set duration. When the alarm stops, the meteor shower screen will also stop prematurely and you will be sent right back to planet screen again.