Squad Challenge - Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600)

Justin

gallery_823_11_56013.jpg

if you rescue the 2 beasties & make it back to the ship before the alarm you don't have to wait to shoot the meteor ....

getting past the laser beam is tricky ....thinking more luck than anything .... I was able to rescue one beastie a couple times .... the next trip with one beastie on planet I got zapped & the 2'nd beastie appeared  :wreck-it-ralph:  ..... he should have stayed aboard the Cosmic Ark IMO where it was a little safer !!!

gallery_823_11_10849.jpg

to get a clear pic, lowering contrast on TV & hitting some button to make it go Black & White

to save 2 beasties on laser planet ... fly down through zapper , catch 1 back up through zapper and then down again for 2'nd and hope you don't get zapped on way back out

zapper does come in handy if you don't think you'll make it back to the ship before meteor :)

Awesome scores fellow gamers!!  I gave up on trying to save the life forms on the second planet...but I may have to try again.  And, I agree with Ferg, the game settings show just how evil the 2600 can really be.  I'd like to see a young COD player try Cosmic Ark on this setting.  They'd probably get their butts whipped by a a machine older than them.  Just sayin'.

Awesome scores fellow gamers!!  I gave up on trying to save the life forms on the second planet...but I may have to try again.  And, I agree with Ferg, the game settings show just how evil the 2600 can really be.  I'd like to see a young COD player try Cosmic Ark on this setting.  They'd probably get their butts whipped by a a machine older than them.  Just sayin'.

saving beasties on zapper planet .... think of how you have to drive during Holiday traffic , cut right through the traffic (zapper) while giving a friendly smile & waving ;)

I tried playing but too hard to play with genisis controller (with segal) on my 7800 might try again with my wico joystick

I my am kind of using a special wico produced joystick sturdily fastened in place.

wR0QIzf.jpg

Is it ok to say I hate this game?  So hard, and not really fun. 

I was able to rescue both creatures from that second planet (one at a time), but it seems like it's pure luck avoiding the lasers. 

it's NOT ok !!!!!

great score just don't tell the insurance company on that shuttle about the risks your taking & things will be fine ;)

Edited by chas10e

Rick, do you think it's the difficulty settings or the game itself that makes you feel that way?

I think it's a frustrating game to begin with.  Seems like the side to side shot detection isn't as accurate as it should be.  But mostly, it's that constantly firing laser system.  Random death/life isn't really fun. 

On the rock screen, I hate how it makes you sit through the "ship getting into position" animation every time you die.  You see that same thing 1000 times, you learn to hate it. 

I think K's strategy of skipping the planet part and sticking with shooting rocks only is sound. 

I used to like Cosmic Ark, then I tried it on this play mode... :)

Merciless. It hard enough to get to a planet from the asteroids scree. Once you're there, it's hopeless. I think that I'll stick to a less challenging game mode while admiring this uber complete version that unfortunately, doesn't fit my 7800. Good luck to those who are playing!

post-65-0-56615300-1483908949_thumb.jpeg

5,373!! By approaching the lasers diagonally I was able to rescue the creatures several times!!

Amazing score! If you want to think that holding that magic feather is what lets you fly, by all means, go ahead! :)

My best score so far: 3243

post-326-0-38411200-1484017624.jpg

Edited by RadioPoultry