The Original Jag controller D-pad is pretty good

AtariHero

I decided to blow off some steam with some JagDoom and Iron Soldier today and in the process switched out my ProController for an original Jag pad. I haven't played anything with the original controller in many years...there just wasn't any reason to with the Pro. But alas, my ProControllers (all three of them) seem to have an issue in one way or another, usually with the Option button or one of the shoulder buttons not working right.

So I found myself surprised while using the original as to how nice the D-Pad works and feels. I had forgotten about it after all this time. Perhaps it was more responsive because it hasn't been abused for so long while my Pros are not always 'crisp' as far as that goes. I also like the Lynx style buttons.

I guess this means a ProController mod with original D-Pad and red buttons in in order :P

(No, I'm no Ben Heck so, just a dream)

Anyone else feel the same way? 

I've never owned/tried the Jaguar's Pro-Controller.  I've only seen them in advertisements.  So, I have been stuck with using the original controllers and, I must say, they are comfortable and work well.  I've not had any issues with the original Jag controllers.  They seem to be able to withstand those game-intensive moments very well when game action can cause very hard button pressing.  My only gripe about them, but I think this is a machine issue, the controller connectors are as snug as I would like them to be.  Try plugging that controller connector into the VGA socket on a computer that is not turned on and you will feel the difference.

I've never owned/tried the Jaguar's Pro-Controller.  I've only seen them in advertisements.  So, I have been stuck with using the original controllers and, I must say, they are comfortable and work well.  I've not had any issues with the original Jag controllers.  They seem to be able to withstand those game-intensive moments very well when game action can cause very hard button pressing.  My only gripe about them, but I think this is a machine issue, the controller connectors are as snug as I would like them to be.  Try plugging that controller connector into the VGA socket on a computer that is not turned on and you will feel the difference.

The ProControllers are nice - they aren't as thick and the extra buttons, particularly the shoulders, are very nice. But after what I compared today, I would have preferred that they kept the original D-Pad at least.

I've heard the first generation controllers actually had a different d pad from later revisions with the original having the best quality.

I believe those are the ones with the black keypad buttons. Unfortunately I don't have one of those - mine was one of the last generation that I received with my "64-Bit Power Kit" that had Wolf 3D as a pack-in instead of CyberMorph (not complaining - that was a great idea for a pack-in)