The No Swear Gamer

nosweargamer

I gotta tell you, I love the 8-bit reviews the best.  It was such a great gaming machine, and I think many overlook it as such.  Watching some of your reviews takes me back to the mid-80's when I experienced those games for the first time.  I'm looking forward to the Caverns of Mars review.  "Final Legacy" is another I hope you'll review.  It has the most awesome theme music and varied gameplay.  Or the cinematics of "Astro Chase". 

3 hours ago, RickR said:

I gotta tell you, I love the 8-bit reviews the best.  It was such a great gaming machine, and I think many overlook it as such.  Watching some of your reviews takes me back to the mid-80's when I experienced those games for the first time.  I'm looking forward to the Caverns of Mars review.  "Final Legacy" is another I hope you'll review.  It has the most awesome theme music and varied gameplay.  Or the cinematics of "Astro Chase". 

I've really enjoyed my time with my 800xl so far. Of course, it helps that almost all the games I've reviewed so far are pretty good. But maybe the Atari 8-bit library is simply of a higer quality than most systems. I never even played an Atari computer until I got my XL, so this has been a fun experience. I don't have Final Legacy, so I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

2 hours ago, RickR said:

PS - interesting fact about all three of the 8-bit games I mentioned:  They all came from the APX (Atari Program Exchange).  Written by ordinary users and submitted to the APX to share with others. The very best of the APX software got promoted to actual releases by Atari.  How cool is that?

I was today years old when I learned of the APX! That is very cool, and smart of Atari to do.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Oh, and it's interesting to note how big the 8-bit community was in the early 80's.  These were very popular machines with such an elegant design.  As in the "Froggo" thread, it's Jack Tramiel who blew the whole thing up.  Not when he bought Atari, but when he was with Commodore.  He just kept lowering the price of the C54 over and over again until all the other competitors couldn't compete anymore.  Atari had to redesign the 400 and 800 to make them cheaper to produce (hence the 600XL and 800XL), but even that wasn't enough.  Commodore owned MOS, and they had an insurmountable cost advantage.  Commodore would do things like put cardboard RF shields in the 64 that Atari would not stoop to doing.  Cheap, cheap, cheap ruined the 8-bit computer generation. 

I wrap up Atari 2600 Paddles game month by looking at this cute & tiny plug n play.
Ep 645: Atari Paddle Keychain Plug n Play

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube