Buried Gaming Treasure

So a YouTuber I follow explored an old video rental place that is abandoned in the middle of nowhere. All he showed was a shelf of Genesis cases and a bunch of VHS tapes. Something tells me that there is a lot more than just Genesis cases there. I bet they might even have things up to the N64 but that is just me speculating. There could be systems, rental cases, who knows what all could be hiding there!!!!! 

So I did a bit of research and found the location and contacted the Mayor's office in the town it is located in. I requested to be in touch with anyone that is responsible for the property in the very off chance they might let me go picking. My plan, should it become a reality is to road trip there, (about 1200 miles from me) grab EVERYTHING I can and sort it all out here at home.  This is an amazing find and should I be able to pull this off EVERYONE (within reason anyway) that I know in the hobby that has a a true passion for this will benefit from this seeing that most rental places carried multiple copies of stuff. It's a smaller place so I could be wrong there.  

Wish me luck!!!!

Capture_2017-03-05-10-44-19-1_zpsv0tvhdl

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

What im wondering is, this YouTuber that did the exploring, did he make it in the shop? And if so did he take anything with him?

No I can just about 100 % guarantee that he took nothing. Also he will not force enter any property. If it has a way in he will go in and film, if not he walks away. 

Side note: I heard from the mayor, she is looking into it for me!

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

Another unfortunate possibility is the owner now has wind of there being possible treasures in there and is getting everything out to start researching value. As an example, in that pic you posted at the top of the page, there is what appears to be a boxed Gun-nac for the NES. Those...are worth some dough. Additionally the games appear to be shrink wrapped? I doubt they would have them sitting out like that if they were for sale as new games. So I'm betting those are empty boxes that were shrinked and set out on the shelf so the customers could bring them to the front to get the actual game for renting. 

Small rental stores in my area did that all the time when I was younger. In fact, they liked to cut the fronts off the boxes and have those sitting out to mark that they had the game available for rental. Makes me cry now thinking about that...

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Oh man...just the Genesis boxes alone are worth something.  I know one game trading store that does not give out the Genesis boxes with games purchased.  They keep those and use those to put on shelves when they have the game for sale.  So the Genesis boxes alone could go to someone wanting the boxes to turn loose copies into complete copies.  And I studied that picture for a while and didn't catch the Gun*Nac box until Crossbow mentioned it.  Good spotting!  There are times when just the boxes can fetch a decent price tag because they are far and few in between...and most NES gamers didn't keep the boxes to the games.  I didn't until close to the end of the system's production run.  Even then I only kept a few boxes to hang on my wall when I was a teen.  I had nothing but game posters from Nintendo Power and few other publications and used a few NES boxes to hang in empty spots on the wall.  

This was a very nice find and I hope that you get to rescue these boxes whether they have games in them or not.

Oh man...just the Genesis boxes alone are worth something.  I know one game trading store that does not give out the Genesis boxes with games purchased.  They keep those and use those to put on shelves when they have the game for sale.  So the Genesis boxes alone could go to someone wanting the boxes to turn loose copies into complete copies.  And I studied that picture for a while and didn't catch the Gun*Nac box until Crossbow mentioned it.  Good spotting!  There are times when just the boxes can fetch a decent price tag because they are far and few in between...and most NES gamers didn't keep the boxes to the games.  I didn't until close to the end of the system's production run.  Even then I only kept a few boxes to hang on my wall when I was a teen.  I had nothing but game posters from Nintendo Power and few other publications and used a few NES boxes to hang in empty spots on the wall.  

This was a very nice find and I hope that you get to rescue these boxes whether they have games in them or not.

I was strange then I guess as I too tossed out all the boxes for my Atari games back in the day, but oddly kept the manuals to most of them? And instead of posters of games on the wall I had Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Samantha Fox... so ...yeah...different. LOL J/K...

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections