Post pics of your PC

RickR

I just got a new-to-me one, and thought it would be fun to share.  Post pics of your rig!

Mine has these specs:

• Intel Core i7-4790k (4 GHz)
  • 32 Gb DDR3
  • 1 TB SSD
  • 1 TB Hard Drive
  • GeForce GTX 660

I know...not the latest and greatest, but a huge improvement over what I had.  It's very quick in loading atari.io!

post-41-0-47893500-1489629133_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-34525800-1489629245_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-77631700-1489629276_thumb.jpg

That's a nice rig you have...and it looks to be ready for any game you throw at it!

I have two desktops with the latest one being...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/142735/article.html

I inherited this one for helping care for an elderly lady in our apartment complex we called "mom".  The only aspect wrong in those specs is with the video card.  This system was very basic since it was used only for playing Spider Solitaire.  It never seen the internet until I got it.  And I'm not a fan of Intel graphics at all...they are worthless as far as I'm concerned.  I am an AMD fan so I wish this system had that processor but it does have a dual core Celeron processor which I am planning on upgrading to a Core 3 or 7.  I had an older ATi Radeon X600 SE with 128 MB of RAM so I installed it instead.  PC performance is not that great at the moment at only 2.6 overall so I don't use it for gaming.  It does well for browsing the internet and sending emails and I am also using it to learn how to develop for the 7800.  Nothing to write home about.  Running Windows Vista 32-bit keeps the system from going over 4 GB of RAM.  With a PCI-e slot, however, I can upgrade the video card to something more modern.  I've thought about a GeForce from one of these cheaper options:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Lprice=25&Hprice=49.99&CatId=28

Even with the limitations of the system I did install the Steam front-end and tried to play one of the SCS Software's truck driving simulators (have all three) and there was no picture but there was sound so it's trying...there is some hope young Jedi.

I also have an older Dell desktop tower I use for making ST Disks for the SPACE club.  While it has an AGP nVidia GeForce card it is very limited on RAM.  It is also the only desktop in the house with a 3.5" floppy drive.  I don't let it get on the internet and use it strictly for making the club disks.  It runs XP.  Given to me for fixing another computer for a friend.  It's too old to do much.  It might play games from PopCap or Mumbo Jumbo but that would be pushing it.

I have three laptops with my main laptop being this one:

https://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-satellite-x205/specs/#p=toshiba-satellite-x205-core-2-duo-2ghz-2gb-ram-160gb-hdd-vista-ultimate/

It's a 2008 model but still gaming able as it plays most modern Steam games without issues.  I got it from Shopgoodwill while in college with no hard drives so the hard drive specs are not correct nor is the amount of RAM.  I have 8 GB installed and two 250 GB hard drives I pulled from other non-working laptops.  It also runs Windows 7 Professional.  This is my main gaming rig and it has seen better days but still works.  The battery never held a charge since I've had it so it stays plugged in and on most of the time.

The other two laptops are Compaqs.  One is a Armada 300M that was made when Window 98 was new and the other is a Presario designed to run XP.  Unfortunately the Presario wants to run and runs well until moving it or putting an pressure on the palm rests causes it freeze up.  I've completely disassembled it to try to locate the problem and even placed small foam pieces to help give the mother board some insurance from shorting anything out but the issue is still present.  It was given to me so I'm not too worried about it.  

Which brings me to the Armada.  This one I found at Goodwill for $5 with no hard drive or power supply...which the Presario might be a parts system.  What the Armada needs the Presario has (see where I'm going with this?).  And the Armada I've been wanting to make into a true MS-DOS system because I have DOS games that are not friendly with a Windows environment.  It does have the add-on where a DVD ROM and 3.5" floppy drive are.  I believe there is also a sound card in that expansion as well but not for sure.  It's small, light, but looks hardly used so I might do something with it.  I know the display is very bright and nice but it does suffer from the early LCD technology issues of blurring when something is moving on screen.  At least it holds a charge.

I will try to get pics of all the systems in the house soon but only the Toshiba is the gaming rig...the rest are basic setups and not really nothing exciting.  The story behind how I got them is probably more exciting.

The wife has a Dell XPS 17" laptop fully loaded with two 500GB HDD and 12 GB of RAM.  It, too, has an nVidia graphics processor but it is rarely used for gaming.  I've had to attach the power supply directly to the computer as the jack simply wore out (a common issue with these systems).  It also had an issue with the graphics processor which I believe it overheated in a similar fashion to the first XBOX 360 systems.  I took a blow dryer and heated the processor up again to try to fix it (same trick done on 360s) and it worked.  Come to find out the nVidia chips used were a bad batch that no one would try to correct including Dell and nVidia.  

All of our systems are used and were either given to us or for a very small price.  Not a single system we paid more than $5 for.  I'll try to post pics a.s.a.p.

Pictures would be great! 

I've got a lot of "Frankenstein" computers and laptops for various purposes around the house, all cobbled together for cheap prices.  I think I've mentioned a few times how much I like to fix and fiddle with things. 

• I have a Dell desktop in my garage that I got from a thrift store for less than $20. It's a core2duo running Vista.  I use it to look at repair info and videos, listen to music (loudly), and watch movies while working in the garage.
  • I've got a Dell laptop (core2duo) running Vista that I use as an Atari computer disk drive repository for a SIO2PC device.  And to view game manuals when playing.  I won this one at a company picnic a long time ago. I put in a 32 GB SSD that I got used from ebay, and it is so fast!
  • I've got a tiny Dell laptop that I got for $3 (Godwill) that runs XP and has a Centrino processor.  Used in the kitchen for recipes and for surfing while watching TV and stuff.  Picture of that one is below. One of my favorites due to the small size and $3 price.  It didn't come with a hard drive, but I stole the drive from a RROD Xbox 360 and installed XP. 
  • There's a couple of desktops in the attic that have been retired due to nicer machines coming in.  There's a giant Dell with dual core AMD running XP and a super tiny HP desktop with an AMD-E1 (really crappy processor -- so slow!) running Win 10.  I probably should sell or dispose of these.
  • We also have a tiny micro-laptop running an Intel Atom dual core and Win 10 with no fan or hard drive (it has 32Gb SSD).  Really nice to take on vacation.  My youngest uses it to vidoe skype with friends. 

post-41-0-19051900-1489769528_thumb.jpg

I just found this thread, so I thought I'd pile on...

Main PC is a Dell XPS Desktop with 32GB RAM, the video card is an Nvidia GForce 1060 with 6GB, the CPU is an Intel i7-8700 @ 3.22 GHz 6 Cores 12 Threads.

Storage (over three drives) comes to about 12TB.

RTh1ouP.jpg

Edited by - Ω -

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Hey, thank you for bumping this back to the top.  You have a very nice setup. 

I've had an upgrade since 2017.

Current specs:

• Intel Core-i7 7700k (4.2 Ghz), 4 cores, 8 threads
  • 32 GB DDR4 memory
  • 512MB SSD
  • 3.5 TB hard drive
  • AMD Radeon R9 285 (2 Gb)

It has served me well, no complaints.  I will post a pic of my desk top from far away.  That's my COVID setup (work from home).  My PC is on the left, and a laptop (in a docking station) uses the two monitors on the right. 

my pc 002.JPG

my pc 004.jpg

Mine's not too exciting... a laptop.  I have built my own desktops in the past, but for a while now I've been a laptop guy.

It's a Dell G5 5590

Intel Core i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz

16.0 GB Ram

256GB SSD and 1TB HDD (also have a 1TB external HDD I took out of an old laptop)

It's done better than I thought it would.  Runs Cyberpunk with only the problems the game comes with.  lol

Pics are of the laptop and my background image (photo by me) and the desk environment.  (I cleaned it a little to take this pic, but it's always a mess of wires.)

thumbnail_IMG_6964.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6965.jpg

My PC’s pretty embarrassing but I love it.

Windows Vista

Dell with intel core

Laptop

A vitually dead battery, so if the system isn’t plugged in it will shut off

a cracked screen because I stupidly set a lava lamp on there once while cleaning when it was closed, not realizing what I had done. I’m a bumbling moron.

I will check the specs tomorrow. They aren’t great. Probably on par with the Channel F.

Edited by HDN

I have a laptop just like that one!  It's about to be sold or recycled as I was given a much newer one that was broken and fixed it. 

Anyway, its a nice machine.  Bummer about the screen.  I put a small SSD in mine and that made it super fast. 

I don't have a recent pic but here is one of my mostly current PC here at the ITC when I had just gotten it built and was making images of my old HDDs to archive and restore data to the new PC.

'Ivory Tower - 2019' - Build in August 2019

- Case = Corsair Carbide Air (white)

- PSU = Seasonic Prime 750W Platinum Modular

- MB = MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

- CPU = Intel i7-9700K (Locked Freq @ 4.9ghz on all 8 cores) - No Speestep enabled

- Video = EVGA RTX 7020Super Black

- Sound = Creative SB ZxR

- RAM = 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600

- Cooler = Corsair H100X AIO (Not that impressed with this one compared to past Corsair AIOs I've used though)

Storage:

- Samsung 970EVO 250GB NVMe (OS and core applications)

- 2x WD Black Caviar 1TB HDD (Configured in RAID 0 Striping) - Games and video editing

- 2x Samsung 860EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD (Configured in RAID 0 Striping) - High end Games and scratch drive

At the time this pic was taken I still has my older GTX 1070 SC installed that has been transferred to my youngest boys gaming PC. Additional to this, I have 3 Roland MIDI sound modules that sit stacked off to the right of my PC. The large speaker looking one is my MT-90S and that is actually upstairs in my work lab now and has been replaced with an Edirol SD-20 Sound Studio Canvas module.

IT_Server.jpg

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

On 3/15/2017 at 8:54 PM, RickR said:

I just got a new-to-me one, and thought it would be fun to share.  Post pics of your rig!

Mine has these specs:

• Intel Core i7-4790k (4 GHz)
  • 32 Gb DDR3
  • 1 TB SSD
  • 1 TB Hard Drive
  • GeForce GTX 660

I know...not the latest and greatest, but a huge improvement over what I had.  It's very quick in loading atari.io!

post-41-0-47893500-1489629133_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-34525800-1489629245_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-77631700-1489629276_thumb.jpg

@RickR My previous PC that I built back in like 2011 and was replaced out with the one I listed above was in a very similar case. It was in an Antec 902 and was about the same height as the one I have now but stuck out further. Here are some pics of it in its final form before it was gutted, with new stuff installed and then given to my youngest. You can see at the time I owned this one, I only had the MT-32 and MT-200 modules.

IT_Server_2011-2019B.jpg

IT_Server_2011-2019.jpg

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections