KC Monochrome Dreams on the AFP

Mr SQL

Hello Atari IO community! :)

I'm working on converting this SuperCharger game to run on the Atari Flashback Portable!

KC was an incredible classic game that took Pacman to the next level with moving game character dots and an ever changing maze; KCMM builds on these new Pacman mechanics by constantly morphing a large portion of the giant 4-way scrolling maze, like the Jr Pacman mechanics but in 4 directions.

KC Monochrome dreams was approved by KC's Dad, Ed Averett and I think it would be awesome to see it running on the new portable Atari! Even cooler if Atari does a 180 and endorses KC for the next release - would you like to see this game included as one of the built-in games in future Flashback editions??

It should be pretty easy to convert the game to the AFP because while the game is written in Assembly, it uses a compatible BASIC runtime to Flashback BASIC. I might add a second monster maze too since the AFP runtime can support multiple virtual worlds while the SuperCharger only has one! :)

The game PIXELS (like the movie) also incorporates Pacman and KC elements and has already been patched for the AFP, the game ROM is attached along with a pic of the tiny cart with tiny label artwork.

Pixels.bin

post-1231-0-35071600-1491058133_thumb.jpg

There is an awesome play through review of PIXELS on the AFP by Doctor Clu here and an equally awesome review of KC by Metal Jesus and John Hancock here.

ATARI FLASHBACK BASIC! Make games for the AFP with awesome  graphics, animation and a built in tracker/sequencer! Compatible with all Atari consoles! The IDE is already installed on your PC! Atari Flashback BASIC is cross compatible with the SuperCharger too! :)

AFB games can be recompiled with no changes using the SuperCharger BASIC compiler, available at Relationalframework.com/vwBASIC

First off, welcome to Atari IO!  I for one would love to see this game ported to the handheld atari unit. 

Thanks! :) Here is the Beta, works great in Stella and Javatari but one of the Ghosts flutters around and vanishes.... must be loading a memory location somewhere instead of a number, I remember having to find something like that in Pixels.

KC_AFP_BETA.bin

ATARI FLASHBACK BASIC! Make games for the AFP with awesome  graphics, animation and a built in tracker/sequencer! Compatible with all Atari consoles! The IDE is already installed on your PC! Atari Flashback BASIC is cross compatible with the SuperCharger too! :)

AFB games can be recompiled with no changes using the SuperCharger BASIC compiler, available at Relationalframework.com/vwBASIC

Looks interesting. Will be following this for sure!!!!!!!! 

Thank you! :)

Tracing the bug I've found it's the same one that shows up on full size consoles when a sega pad is plugged in instead of a Joystick.

There's no way to detach the Sega pad from the portable, so I've got to figure a workaround... 

KC_AFP_Beta2.bin

Fixed it! - Beta2 works great on the Flashback Portable and on full size consoles even with a Sega pad plugged in! :)

Planning to add a second monster maze with another color palette once the first board is cleared...

Fun facts: palette data is stored in the top row of the maze; the ever changing maze changes some of it periodically and when it does the palette colors of the ghosts and the maze ebb and flow; one ghost stays a solid color and changes color to let you know when the other ghosts are edible, along with the powerup melody.

Posted the wrong file, that one won't run on the Portable - this is the one, patched for the Sega Pad:

KC_Beta2.bin