Nintendo is Discontinuing the NES Classic Edition

nosweargamer

Scalper's delight.   The price on this thing will be through the roof, and availability (which was scarce) just bottomed out.

I honestly can't figure out Nintendo's thinking on this one.  They are just turning down money. 

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Making room for the upcoming SNES Mini Classic?

post-52-0-60084800-1492134824_thumb.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

This annoys me so much & I was lucky enough to land one by chance. I can't imagine how aggravated I'd feel if I DIDN'T have one. I will have a difficult time supporting Nintendo in any way going forward. This was basically a giant middle finger to their fans, who obviously demonstrated the desire to own one of these systems. 

Making room for the upcoming SNES Mini Classic?

Making room?    I think there's a market for both.

Honestly though, Nintendo's behavior is going to reward those who snap up the SNES minis and scalp them.   It doesn't reward their fans.  

There's a reason why Nintendo hasn't competed with Microsoft or Sony since they both started making systems.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

When asked about why they are no longer making the NES Classic, Nintendo said:

"We don't like money"

Actually, I will be the lone wolf and say that there may be more to this story than we understand. While it's possible Nintendo created a scarcity on purpose, it's also possible the Nintendo vastly underestimated the demand there would be. Remember, both the Wii U and 3DS failed to meet sales expectations when they launched and the plug n play market had been shrinking when this was released.

Also, it doesn't make sense why they would stop making this unless:

1) It was not making the profit we think

or

2) The licensing deals with some of the 3rd party games were about to end. 

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I'm completely honest here... This is heartbreaking for me. I remember being so excited when I learned the Mini was coming out the weekend of my birthday, only to be extremely disappointed that I couldn't find one anywhere. I WANT ONE SO BADLY.

I don't guess I'll ever get one now. :(

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

I'm clinging to a faint sliver of hope around the words, "for the year" in the update from Nintendo about the discontinuation. That and the even more telling line over in Japan that the Famicom Mini will probably return to production at a future point implies that MAYBE Nintendo is trying an Atari Flashback tactic, that of limiting sales to holiday periods only?

On the other hand, I'm probably just kidding myself.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

More likely - Maybe they just felt they were hurting their own Switch sales -- competing against themselves. 

This is sadly the likely the reasoning.    All I can say is Nintendo continues to earn its spot in dead last place in the gaming industry.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I guess I should be happy that I have one.  On the other hand I feel sort of let down by Nintendo with their decision.  I feel bad for those that wanted one but now will never be able to get one that easy.  I say that because there are going to be those who bought up what they could get away with to sell them at a high profit.  

But I am on-board with NSG on this one.  Yea, Nintendo did not do this the right way, and they haven't been doing good with meeting demands on their hardware for the most part.  The NES, just like the 2600, became an icon of sorts.  Anything related to it or portraying it just like the Mini did will be an instant hit.  Especially with gamers.  It may be possible that the plant responsible for making the NES Mini simply couldn't keep up with Nintendo's demands so Nintendo did what they felt was the only thing left to do...shutdown the production.  It can cost more harm by not being able to keep up demands when hiring a company to do the production for you.  In that case it would have been out of Nintendo's hands but, in reality, Nintendo's name was on the line.  

Then again the site I read about Nintendo's decision to pull the plug mentioned that Nintendo never really planned for the NES Mini to be a long-term project.  I also agree that it could have been a way to put Nintendo in the spotlight until the Switch came out.  Makes total sense to me.  I'm not trying to defend or go against Nintendo in any way.  I'm simply trying to be biased about the whole ordeal.  Do I agree with their decision?  No because there was still money that could have been made off the NES Mini.  And that's money they could have used.