WANTED: Feedback for Crazy Brix for Atari 7800

dauber

I'm looking for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 )

What are your thoughts on Crazy Brix? This game will be covered on Episode 10.

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com.

Deadline is 11:59pm CDT on Wednesday, May 3. Any comments from after then will be addressed in a later episode.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Thanks, The! (Can I call you "The"?) Actually, there is a reason that it does not have the Arkanoid-style powerups (you'll have to listen to find out :)  )...actually, two reasons....

BTW, I have to say, I'm only about 1/5 done with my research on this, and already it's got one of the most fascinating back-stories I've seen so far....

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Here is in feedback on this game:

Here we have a game that takes the classic formula from Breakout and updates it for the 7800.  If you're expecting an Arkanoid clone, then you need to look elsewhere because that's not what Bob created with Crazy Brix.  In this game you control a Deflector with either a joystick or a paddle controller (though I recommend the latter) to smash bricks (or, are they brix) that are organized in various patterns, a number of which play tribute to other Atari classics. Don't be surprised when you see a Tank from Combat or an Alien from Space Invaders, among others. To add to gameplay, the walls are not always smooth and straight as they are on Breakout or even Arkanoid.  These irregular walls make the balls move in rather interesting ways that really add an unpredictability to things and keeps the game interesting.  Visually the game does have bright colors and the animation of the brix as they are smashed is nicely done.  They don't just vanish when the ball hits them but, rather, are slowly broken down until they disappear.  Given the limited number of paddle titles for the 7800 (if you discount the 2600 titles you can play on the system), this certainly is a game to have to enjoy with friends or by yourself.  Truly another Bob classic for the 7800.  So go crazy and smash some brix!

Edited by TrekMD

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...