Squad Challenge - Kangaroo (Atari 2600)

Justin

Atari Pro System 7800

Playing with the Atari EU game pad.

Score achieved by using Mason's pro tip which he discovered while playing last night... Shhh it's a secret to everybody.

post-629-0-75603000-1495207786_thumb.jpg

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

Okay, I think I get how this game works now. I didn't understand the bell before. Once you do, that leads to a bit of strategy. I used to think this game was "broken" now I see that I just didn't understand it. I still think the controls are horrible and the game can be frustrating, but there's game theory in this and I think I get what the game designers were thinking about when they created the game.

New Score: 32,000

Good luck, gentlemen.

kangaroo_score_32000.JPG

So I finally got a score worthy of posting:

jQ7j92Hh.jpg

Full disclosure - I used Stella on my Windows laptop, and this was my weapon of choice:

c5PuIAkh.jpg

I remapped the Y button to the Up direction so I would actually have a jump button, and this game became MUCH more playable, almost enjoyable. I might try to beat my score further. This was only my second attempt with Stella and my gamepad, so I'm sure I could do better with more tries.

Edited by Starbuck66

THE_BIG_TIP_OFF-F.gif

Here's a Pro-Tip: Make the most of the Bell and Fruit with the time allotted. Play for the high score rather than playing to move quickly to the next board.

Hey where did you get this pro tip from? ;)

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

Hey where did you get this pro tip from? ;)

I used a strategy that is somewhat different from when we last chatted. Mason definitely figured out this game. But you do get points for finishing the round early and there's a lot of strategy that comes from the bell. Also, playing to max out your score while sacrificing yourself at an earlier stage can be a way to go. I no longer think the game is "broken" at all, I think it's indicative of factors that led to the crash.

I've decided Kangaroo on 2600 is a pretty great game. 

The graphics are just so so.  The kangaroo and the fruits look great.  But the background and apples look very basic and plain.  Still, very little flicker.  The gameplay elements are all there.  Three whole screens of fun.  It pretty much epitomizes the 2600 doing an arcade conversion well.  I grade it an "A". 

Some of these challenges have made me hate the game...like I never want to play it again.  But not so in this case.