Cosmic X2K (was Space Defense: Project 1196)

Clint Thompson

Now that I know I can use Rb+ for the other project, I've wanted to dive in with something far less demanding and give a go at doing something that will help me learn how to set everything up properly and will lessen the headache in the future for having to troubleshoot or understand what I'm doing wrong with more complex projects.

I've got about 4 hours into it so far and most of it's rendering graphics and doing the music and toying around with the variables but... I've got a ship in space that flips around at 28 frames of animation with a few space debris rocks with 4 frames each for fun and is completely controllable. It's a start...

post-181-0-50965300-1494669951_thumb.jpg

post-181-0-15505200-1494669974.png

post-181-0-64133700-1494670091.png

A short video clip of it running...

https://youtu.be/zrViex6J0gU

Ultimately I would like to make a modernized Cosmic Ark clone for the Jag, should be simple and fast (but I know it's not going to be lol) and teach me a thing or two. If anyone remembers the 2600 game...

post-181-0-07780100-1494670245.png

Edited by Clint Thompson

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

Now that I know I can use Rb+ for the other project, I've wanted to dive in with something far less demanding and give a go at doing something that will help me learn how to set everything up properly and will lessen the headache in the future for having to troubleshoot or understand what I'm doing wrong with more complex projects.

I've got about 4 hours into it so far and most of it's rendering graphics and doing the music and toying around with the variables but... I've got a ship in space that flips around at 28 frames of animation with a few space debris rocks with 4 frames each for fun and is completely controllable. It's a start...

attachicon.gifspacedeftitle.jpg

attachicon.gifship1.png

attachicon.gifcap.png

A short video clip of it running...

https://youtu.be/zrViex6J0gU

Ultimately I would like to make a modernized Cosmic Ark clone for the Jag, should be simple and fast (but I know it's not going to be lol) and teach me a thing or two. If anyone remembers the 2600 game...

attachicon.gifcosmic.png

have you ever seen the movie dr. who and the daleks. that space ship is a dead ringer for that spaceship. i love it.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

Decided to give the fish thing a break momentarily and look back into another one of the things I was hoping to finish which was the Cosmic Ark clone. I'm saddened to learn the name was actually acquired and is protected because I don't really like the Space Defense name. I will most likely change up the gameplay for something more original now as a result but will still have the same idea/premises. So to give the fish a break, I've created some new Aurora Borealis themes that I feel works well or better for this game other than just a static starfield backdrop.

I've learned a lot going from the other few demos/games I've been experimenting with so this should be a decent one to really be able to accomplish as long as I keep it a simple arcade-like wave based game. 10 asteroids you clear level, next level you have to clear 20, so on and so forth with bonus levels every 5 or so to give the player a break, especially once you get into th 100+ asteroid sets, it's going to be crazy endurance mode. Not sure if that will play well but we'll see. 

Feel like it should be more? Less? Any feedback on the idea is appreciated.

Here's some new assets included for the backdrops captured from Virtual Jaguar so not nearly as sharp as they will appear on TV:

post-181-0-13942500-1514704605.png

post-181-0-70583200-1514704534.png

post-181-0-06148900-1514704545.png

post-181-0-01935600-1514704558.png

post-181-0-99255800-1514704568.png

and not sure if I would go into something like planets or Mars but just an idea as well:

post-181-0-04377700-1514704581.png

I guess the biggest problem I foresee with a game this style (though that seemed to be the same for most 2600 titles) is just how long someone could last or want to play something like this in an endurance or arcade-styled mode. If I take it any other direction, I fear it would overcomplicate it and would take far too much time. Would be nice to finally complete something sooner than later... 

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe