Faygo - Reviews & More

nosweargamer

I grew up in Michigan, where Faygo soft drinks have been a mainstay for decades. (You could call them pops, not sodas, but most people just call them Faygos)

Faygo is know for being cheap and having a large variety of flavors. I can get a few flavors here in TN, but to get a better variety and smaller bottle sizes, I usually need to head north. Recently, I returned to Michigan and this is what I brought back.

post-303-0-34507100-1495468103_thumb.jpg

I plan to review these one at a time in this thread using my classic scale:

Hall Of Fame: A must get if you have a chance

Solid: Good choice

Meh: There are better Faygo options

Trash: Avoid at all costs (Faygo makes good stuff, so this one is unlikely)

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Redpop!

post-303-0-37986600-1495468278_thumb.jpgpost-303-0-01288900-1495468284_thumb.jpg

This is Faygo's classic Strawberry soda. I enjoyed this a lot as a kid, but have grown out of it a bit. It is very sugary and almost has a bit of a plastic-like aftertaste (even as a kid, I imagined I was drinking a liquefied red balloon. But I liked it!) You can taste a berry like taste, but it's not strawberry enough for me. I still drink it from time to time, but it's also a flavor I can easily pass.

Rating: Meh

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

No Faygo here.  But we do have Shasta, which looks very similar. 

http://shastapop.com/#!home

I take a can of soda to work with me every day for lunch.  I usually buy the national brands (Coke or Pepsi), but if they aren't on sale....a 12-pack of Shasta is usually about $3.  Quite a bargain.  And it's really not bad at all.  My go-to flavors are "Diet Shasta" and "Diet Dr. Shasta".   My ratings for both of those would be "solid".  The only thing keeping it from being higher is that you have to take ribbing for buying "Shasta" from your co-workers. 

Edited by RickR

No Faygo here.  But we do have Shasta, which looks very similar. 

Ironically, even though they were separate companies, they are now owned by the same company! 

I grew up in Michigan, where Faygo soft drinks have been a mainstay for decades. (You could call them pops, not sodas, but most people just call them Faygos)

I grew up in Michigan too! I think not too far from you. All of my original Atari stuff came from Sears, Kay-Bee, and Toys R Us stores at Lakeside Mall. We had Faygo, but don't forget Vernor's too! That's a Detroit original  ^_^

I grew up in Michigan too! I think not too far from you. All of my original Atari stuff came from Sears, Kay-Bee, and Toys R Us stores at Lakeside Mall. We had Faygo, but don't forget Vernor's too! That's a Detroit original  ^_^

Yup. Had Vernors many times! And, if I am not mistaken, they even had a commercial starring Soupy Sales!

Moon Mist

post-303-0-08654100-1495496630_thumb.jpgpost-303-0-34787100-1495496639_thumb.jpg

This is Faygo's version of Mountain Dew, but honestly to me it tastes like a caffeinated Sprite with more sugar. And I'm not that big of a Sprite fan. Another one that's not as good as I remember. Don't worry. Better flavors are coming soon!

What??? No Pepsi people?

We have Faygo, Shasta, and Jolly Rancher soda pops here. Jolly and Faygo are $1 for one small bottle, Shasta is 50 cents a bottle. My wife can't have Faygo, though, as she is allergic to all artificial sweeteners and Faygo uses sucralose. And she is a diabetic so I have to watch labels often. She can use Stevia but not much uses that sweetener yet.

Redpop!

attachicon.gifIMG_5187.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_5188.JPG

This is Faygo's classic Strawberry soda. I enjoyed this a lot as a kid, but have grown out of it a bit. It is very sugary and almost has a bit of a plastic-like aftertaste (even as a kid, I imagined I was drinking a liquefied red balloon. But I liked it!) You can taste a berry like taste, but it's not strawberry enough for me. I still drink it from time to time, but it's also a flavor I can easily pass.

Man I still love me a Redpop every now and then! When my grandfather wasn't drinking a PBR he was drinking a Redpop! I grew up on the stuff (another Michigander here for those who didn't know), and haven't gotten tired of it yet. In fact, I tried Sunkist strawberry soda, and didn't like it because it was too sweet, and didn't taste like Redpop. I think Redpop also has a bit of a cream soda flavor underneath that I really enjoy, and that other strawberry soda doesn't have.

I think out of all the flavors you have listed above I like Redpop and Rock N Rye the best, although I haven't tried Cotton Candy, Moon Mist Blue, or Candy Apple yet. My daughter has tried the Cotton Candy and really enjoyed it, but I'm guessing its going to be way too sweet for me, plus I'm not a fan of cotton candy in general.

As far as the Coke vs Pepsi thing someone mentioned, I'm Pepsi all the way. I can get their Real Sugar stuff much more readily than I can a glass bottle of Mexican Coke, and Pepsi isn't quite as sweet as Coke, which I like. I also like the 1893 Pepsi Cola; its actually less sweet than normal Pepsi, but has a nice bite that I like.

Maybe we need to do an Atari.io Pepsi Challenge at some point, remember that?  :lol:

I'm pretty sure I've seen Faygo stuff in and around Chicago. My wife and I are going to New Buffalo this weekend-- I'm sure I'll find the stuff there. :)

Since it's not too far from Detroit, I would expect Faygo to be found pretty easy in Chicago. I even found a little in Florida when I lived there, but that was limited to a Sams Club pack of the more generic flavors and a limited run of Red Pop in a Dollar Tree.

And btw, I tend to go Coke for cola, but yes, the diets can taste similar.

Root Beer!

post-303-0-16199000-1495555930_thumb.jpgpost-303-0-97685700-1495555934_thumb.jpg

Wow. I will admit to overlooking this during my trips to Michigan in favor of the more exotic flavors, but I shouldn't have. Tasting this again reminds me just how good of a root beer it is! And it might be my favorite root beer!!! I wouldn't be alone. Bon Appetit Magazine once called it the best Root Beer in America! There are other great root beers out there, but this one gives you great bang for the buck. From now on, whenever I pick up different Faygos, I will always try to include this one.

Rating: Hall of Fame

Edited by nosweargamer

Candy Apple

post-303-0-27614500-1495556583_thumb.jpgpost-303-0-64089500-1495556587_thumb.jpg

This one was a very pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting much from this apple flavored pop, but the moment I opened the cap, I caught a great candy apple aroma, and usually when I open these I don't get any scent. This has just the right amount of sweetness for me and really does taste like a candy apple pop should, which is both surprising and hard to explain. It didn't seem like it should work, but it does. It may not be for everyone, but it's one of those unique flavors any soda fan should try at least once.

Rating: Hall of Fame 

Gaming and soft-drinks go together like peas and carrots.  This post is way more fun than it should be. 

So true! I'm trying to become less obese and have been avoiding sugary carbonated drinks as much as possible, but when I was recently at Underground Retrocade, first thing I did when I walked in and paid my admission was to ask for a Dew. Later on I had a cream soda.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

So true! I'm trying to become less obese and have been avoiding sugary carbonated drinks as much as possible, but when I was recently at Underground Retrocade, first thing I did when I walked in and paid my admission was to ask for a Dew. Later on I had a cream soda.

Ironically, I'm cutting down on sodas, but any trip to Michigan calls for some Faygos in my book. And they also make a really good cream soda!

What I try to do is limit myself to one 12oz a day (not that I drink one every day either). I also don't drink them with meals anymore. It makes it more of a treat and more enjoyable than guzzling a 32oz at a restaurant with some food.  

For me personally, sugar has become something to avoid as i get closer to the big 5-0.  As much as I like it, too much sugar just makes me feel sick after.  Still, a can of "real" soda once in a while is fine for me -- I treat it like a special treat like Starbuck said.  And man is it hard to avoid sugar completely.